The Centre for Family Business was established in 2013. The Centre aims to lead national and international research in the area of family business. The DCU Centre for Family Business will become a centre of excellence for Irish family firms by educating the current and next generation about the challenges and opportunities of the family business owner.
What is Family Business?
A business is considered a family business if members of one family, or a small number of related families control the business:
- by holding more than 50% of voting shares, and/or
- by supplying a significant proportion of the senior management AND
- the owners and /or senior managers perceive the business to be a family business.
To be the first centre of excellence in the management and sustainability of Irish family businesses for future generations. To support family businesses with leading management advice based on best industry practice.
- Translating knowledge into practice for owners and managers of Irish family businesses.
- To pro-actively engage with Irish family businesses.
- To highlight nationally the importance of Irish family businesses to the Irish economy.
The DCU Centre for Family Business is built on three core pillars: Research, Engagement and Education.
We produce high quality research of significant scale and we aim to achieve international recognition as a centre of expertise on family businesses. We also aim to achieve national recognition as the voice of Irish family businesses by conducting policy-based research.
Read more about our research and browse our resources and publications here.
We facilitate the translation of leading national and international research to Irish family business practitioners through our extensive engagement programme. This improves the knowledge, skills and abilities of Irish family businesses by offering rich insights on best practice for family business management.
- Family businesses engaging in research projects.
- Events, seminars and interactive workshops with educational, academic and practical aspects.
- Digital engagement through our quarterly e-newsletters, website and social media.
We aim to be the centre for learning for Irish Family Business. We are developing our educational offering at undergraduate, postgraduate and executive education levels. This will give family businesses and next generation an in depth knowledge and skills to sustain and grow their businesses.
Learn more about the Centre for Family Business in the video below