Dr John O'Sullivan
School of Communications
|Name:||Dr John O'Sullivan|
|Department:||School of Communications|
|Work Area:||School of Communications (Glasnevin Campus)|
|Phone Number:||Ext. 5704|
John O'Sullivan lectures in journalism and communications at the School of Communications, Dublin City University, where he initiated online journalism courses at postgraduate and undergraduate levels.
He has a background in news and features journalism with the Irish Independent, where he was Assistant Features Editor. He covered computing and communications, establishing, editing and writing for the newspaper's first digital technology section, which focussed on consumer and business IT and the advent of the Internet. Later, he worked with The Irish Times.
He has experience of magazine editing, online publishing ventures, and editorial content management systems, along with other digital media technologies and platforms, and in training and consultancy. He has developed and delivered a wide range of modules.
His research interests concern communication technology and society, and have centred in particular on the interplay of journalism and the Internet, especially in relation to professional roles, media platforms and interactivity. He is a member of the editorial board of Digital Journalism, and was vice-chair in the founding executive committee of the Journalism Studies Section of the European Communication Research and Education Association.
Other activities have included participation in EU-funded research into content, practices and values in online news in Europe, and in the evaluation of COST media research actions and of the BBC-led iLearn distance education project in India.
Research proposals are welcome in the areas of journalism values and practice in online news, migration of classic media online, news design and format in print and online, interactivity, social media, citizen and participatory journalism, media ethics, democracy and transparency, media representation, and media, technology and society.
- MacGregor, P., Balcytiene, A., Fortunati, L., Nuust, V., O'Sullivan, J., Roussou, N., Salaverria, R. and Sarrica, M. 2011. A cross-regional comparison of selected European newspaper journalists and their evolving attitudes towards the internet - including a single-country focus on the UK. JOURNALISM: THEORY, PRACTICE & CRITICISM, 12, 5, pp627-646.
- Sarrica, M., Fortunati, L., O'Sullivan, J., Balcytiene, A., Macgregor, P., Nuust, V., Roussou, N., Meso, K., Pereira, X. & de Luca, F.. 2010. The early stages of the integration of the Internet in EU newsrooms. EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF COMMUNICATION (PRINT), 25, 4, pp413-422.
- Fortunati, L., O'Sullivan, J., Raycheva, L. & Harro-Loit, H.. 2010. Interactivity as Metaphor of Online News. JAVNOST-THE PUBLIC, 17, 4, pp43-61.
- Fortunati, L., Sarrica, M., O'Sullivan, J., Balcytiene, A., Harro-Loit, H., Macgregor, P., Roussou, N., Salaverria, R. & de Luca, F.. 2009. The Influence of the Internet on European Journalism, JOURNAL OF COMPUTER-MEDIATED COMMUNICATION. 14, 4
- O'Sullivan, J. & Heinonen, A. 2008. 2008. Old Values, New Media, JOURNALISM PRACTICE. 2, 3, pp357-371.
- O'Sullivan, J. 2005. Delivering Ireland: Journalism's Search for a Role Online. THE INTERNATIONAL COMMUNICATION GAZETTE, 67, 1, pp45-68.
Peer Reviewed Journals
- Quinn, G., with Trench, B. and O'Sullivan, J.. Training European Journalists Online: a survey of distance learning tools and practice , European Journalism Centre, 2003.
- O'Sullivan, J.. 2015. Foreign Correspondents in Ireland. Mapping Foreign Correspondence in Europe, pp139-150, Routledge.
- O'Sullivan, J.. 2012. Challenging Values: The "Good" Journalist Online, in Siapera, E. and Veglis, A. (eds.) The Handbook of Global Online Journalism. , pp39-58, Wiley-Blackwell.
- Horgan, J, McNamara P, O'Sullivan, J.. 2007. Irish Print and Broadcast Media: The Political, Economic, Journalistic and Professional Context. Mapping Irish Media: Critical Explorations, pp33-48, UCD Press.
- O'Sullivan, J.. 2005. Ireland: Newsprint Colonizes the Web. Print and Online Newspapers in Europe: a comparative analysis in 16 countries, pp158-171, Het Spinhuis.
- , Insiders and Outsiders: a common understanding for citizens - session chair, Equal Opportunities and Communication Rights: Representation, Participation & the European Democratic Deficit, 11-OCT-07 - 12-OCT-07, Brussels
- Heinonen, Ari; O'Sullivan, John, Old values, new media: journalism role perceptions in a changing world, The Future of Newspapers, 12-SEP-07 - 13-SEP-07, Cardiff
- O'Sullivan, John, Let them have Letters: Irish news media and the challenges of interactivity, Interdisciplinary Biennial Conference in the Humanities and Social Sciences, 11-MAY-06 - 12-MAY-06, Dublin
- Heinonen, Ari; O'Sullivan, John, Changing Role Perceptions of ?The European Journalist? after 10 Years of the Internet in Newsrooms, The Impact of the Internet on the Mass Media in Europe: COST A20 International Conference, 26-APR-06 - 29-APR-06, Delphi
- Fortunati, Leopoldina; Raycheva, Lilia; Harro-Loit, Halliki; O?Sullivan, John, Online news interactivity in four European countries: a pre-political dimension (comparing practices in Bulgaria, Estonia, Ireland and Italy) , In: Masip, Pere; Rom, Josep ed.Digital utopia in the media: from discourses to facts, 20-MAY-05 - 21-MAY-05, Barcelona
- O'Sullivan, John, Same old news? Properties of print and web news media in Ireland, In: Salaverra, Ramon and Sadaba, Charo ed.Towards New Media Paradigms: content, producers, organisations and audiences, 27-JUN-03 - 28-JUN-03, Pamplona