Dr Padraig Murphy
School of Communications
|Name:||Dr Padraig Murphy|
|Department:||School of Communications|
|Work Area:||School of Communications (Glasnevin Campus)|
|Phone Number:||Ext. 7703|
Personal Contact Information
Dublin City University/Queen's University Belfast; PhD MSc Science Communication, Communication Studies, Dublin City University BSc Environmental Pollution and Biological Sciences, University of Glamorgan;
Science communication; public participation in, and representations of, science and technology; Responsible Research and Innovation (RRI); interdisciplinary study of nature, politics and culture in science education.
- Environmental Sciences Association of Ireland
- - European Association for the Social Studies of Science (EASST)
- - European Science Education Research Association (ESERA)
- - Sociological Association of Ireland
- International Network on Public Communication of Science and Technology (PCST)
- Campbell, N., Deane, C. and Murphy, P.. 2015. Advertising Nanotechnology: Imagining the Invisible. SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY & HUMAN VALUES (ONLINE), 39,
- Murphy, P. 2011. Anticipatory governance: can we imagine a future scientific Ireland?. THE IRISH REVIEW, 43, 43, pp37-48.
- Murphy, P. 2012. #gmpotato Community of Inquiry: Summary Report.
- Murphy, P.. 2009. Nanotalk at DCU. Engage: Newsletter of the campus Engage Network, , pp10-11.
Peer Reviewed Journals
Non-Peer Reviewed Journals
- Murphy, P.. Biotechnology, Education and Life Politics: Debating Genetic Futures from School to Society, Routledge, 2014.
- Murphy, P. Nanotechnology: public engagement with health, environmental and social issues. , EPA, 2010.
- Lorraine McIlrath, Catherine Bates, Kenneth Burns, Ann Lyons, Emma McKenna and Padraig Murphy. 2014. Emerging Policy and Practices on Community-Based Research; Perspectives from the Island of Ireland. Higher Education and Community-Based Research: Creating a Global Vision,, pp101-117, Palgrave.
- Murphy, P. 2013. Dialogic science and democracy: the case of nanotechnology. Politics, Participation and Power - Civil Society and Public Policy in Ireland., pp98-112, Glasnevin Press.
- Padraig Murphy. 2013. Dialogic Science and Democracy: the Case of Nanotechnology. Politics, Participation and Power - Civil Society and Public Policy in IrelandGlasnevin Press.
- Padraig Murphy , Debashish Munshi , Akhlesh Lakhtakia , Priya A. Kurian , Robert V. Bartlett. 2011. Nanotechnology, society and environment. Comprehensive nanoscience and technology, pp443-476, Elsevier.
- Murphy, P. 2010. NanoSTUDIO Project. Sage Encyclopedia of Nanoscience and Society, pp536-537, Sage.
- Murphy, p. 2010. Topless Humans Organized for Natural Genetics. Sage Encyclopedia of Nanoscience and Society, pp763-764, Sage.
- Murphy , P.. 2010. Woodrow Wilson International Center. Sage Encyclopedia of Nanoscience and Society, pp795-796, Sage.
- Murphy, P. Munshi, D. Lakhtakia, A . Bartlett. R.V. Kurian, P. A.. 2010. Nanotechnology, environment and society. Comprehensive Nanoscience and Technology.Elsevier.
- Murphy, P.. 2009. The challenges of upstream communication and public engagement for Irish nanotechnology. Technoscience in Progress - Managing the Uncertainty of NanotechnologyIOS Press.
- Padraig Murphy. 2009. The challenges of "upstream" communication and public engagement for Irish nanotechnology. Technoscience in Progress. Managing the Uncertainty of NanotechnologyIOS Press.
- Padraig Murphy. 2008. Come on, be serious: positioning and framing in the power play of classroom-based reproductive and genetic technology debates . Science and its Publics, pp57-77, Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- Murphy, P.. 2005. Young people's perspectives on genetics, identity and society using film and discussion. Developing Standards in Research on Science Education., pp165-170, Taylor and Francis Group.
- Padraig Murphy. 2005. Young people's perspectives on genetics, identity and society using film and discussion. Developing Standards in Research on Science Education, pp165-170, Taylor and Francis.
- Campbell, N, Deane, C and Murphy, P., Advertising Nanotechnology: Imagining the Invisible, 5th Annual Meeting of the Society for the Study of Nanoscience and Emerging Technologies (S.NET) , 27-OCT-13 - 30-OCT-13, North-eastern University, Boston
- Murphy, P, Session organiser and chair: Agriculture and Food, SustaiNext EU, 10-OCT-12 - 11-OCT-12, Helix, DCU
- Murphy , P, Why does `opinion? really matter to genetic screening and therapeutic cloning?: future biopolitics in today?s classrooms., 12th International Public Communication of Science and Technology (PCST) Conference: Quality, Honesty and Beauty in Science, 18-APR-12 - 20-APR-12, Florence, Italy
- Murphy, P, Selling Irish science, technology and innovation: can public engagement escape a new kind of ?greenwash??, 12th International Public Communication of Science and Technology (PCST) Conference: Quality, Honesty and Beauty in Science, 18-APR-12 - 20-APR-12, Florence, Italy
- Murphy, P. and Marsili, E. , A dialogical life cycle approach for nanotechnology? , Interdisciplinary experiences - collaborations and collisions , 10-JUN-11 - 10-JUN-11, The Helix, Dublin City University
- Murphy, P , Nanotechnology as Knowledge Debate: Public and Media Responses to the Nanosciences in Europe and India?, Organiser and Chair of Panel Speaker Session ` 11th International Conference on Public Communication of Science & Technology (PCST-2010), , 06-DEC-10 - 09-DEC-10, New Delhi
- Murphy, P., Environmental Science and Journalism , Earth Talks, 25-NOV-10 - 25-NOV-10, Science Gallery
- Murphy, P. , An Irish Nanotechnology Citizens' Jury - Public Participation in Irish Science Policy., Martin McEvoy Seminar Series, 05-NOV-10 - 05-NOV-10, Dublin City University
- Murphy, P., Sustainability-proofing in prospective technology assessment, Sustainability ? where Science and Society meet - Celsius Workshop, 29-JAN-10 - 29-JAN-10, DCU
- Murphy, P., Communicating environmental science, Environmental Protection Agency PhD and Postdoc Seminar, 12-NOV-09 - 13-NOV-09, Dublin, Ireland
- Murphy, P., 7 Reasons Ireland needs to talk about nanotechnology., BioNano: Inspiring Responsible Development for Society and the Environment., 15-OCT-09 - 16-OCT-09, Dublin, Ireland
- Murphy, P. and delle Cave, V., Nanotechnology discourses and the politics of risk in European media., SNET: Society for the Study of Nanoscience and Emerging Technologies - First Annual Conference, 08-SEP-09 - 11-SEP-09, Seattle, Washington
- Murphy, P., Nanotechnology: the consumer's perspective, Hot Topics in Food and Nutrition Research Programme,, 07-JUL-09 - 07-JUL-09, NovaUCD
- Murphy, P., Science in dialogue, UCD Food Graduate Development Programme Food and Nutrition Communication Module, 05-MAY-09 - 07-MAY-09, Dublin City University
- Fahy, D. and Murphy, P., Communicating risk: scenarios, Practical Workshop for the UCD Food Graduate Development Programme Food and Nutrition Communication Module, 05-MAY-09 - 07-MAY-09, Dublin City University
- Murphy, P., Discourses and discourse sites of nanotechnology , Negotiating New Sciences in Society (Science//Society symposium), 22-JAN-09 - 23-JAN-09, Dublin City University
- Murphy, P., Nanotechnology: engaging the public on health, environmental and social issues., EPA STRIVE Fellowships & Scholarships Seminar, 13-NOV-08 - 14-NOV-08, Kilmainham, Dublin
- Murphy, P., The Irish experience in nanotechnology communication, education and public engagement., OECD Working Party on Nanotechnology: Workshop on Public Engagement with Nanotechnology, 30-OCT-08 - 31-OCT-08, Delft, The Netherlands
- Murphy, P., The strategies and tactics of second level school engagement with genetic engineering: a `practice theory? approach., Education: Ethical or Instrumental?, 25-OCT-08 - , Mary Immaculate College, Limerick
- Murphy, P., Comparative framing of reproductive / genetic technologies and nanotechnologies in the classroom., PCST-10: Bridges to the future, 23-JUN-08 - 27-JUN-08, Malmo/Copenhagen
- Murphy, P., The challenges of upstream communication and public engagement for Irish nanotechnology, Managing the Uncertainty of Nanotechnologies: Challenges to Law, Ethics and Policy Making, 22-MAY-08 - 23-MAY-08, University of Padua, Rovigo, Italy
- Murphy, P., Positioning and life politics through reproductive technology debates in biology class., Science & the Public, 19-MAY-07 - , Imperial College London
- Murphy, P., Framing new reproductive and genetic technologies in classroom discourse, In: Egenis ed.Governing Genomics: Interdisciplinary Perspectives on the Regulation of the Biosciences, 25-JAN-07 - 27-JAN-07, ESRC Centre for Genomics in Society (Egenis), University of Exeter
- Murphy, P., Choosing identities: reproductive technology debate in biology class as an example of Giddens's life politics., Sociological Association of Ireland Postgraduate Conference, 10-NOV-06 - 11-NOV-06, DCU
- Murphy, P., The role of identity in classroom perspectives on new reproductive and genetic technologies, Educational Studies Association of Ireland (ESAI) Annual Conference, 30-MAR-06 - 01-APR-06, National College for Art and Design (NCAD), Dublin
- Murphy, P., Using film and biotechnologists in biology class to discuss controversial issues, Irish Science Teachers Association (ISTA)Annual Meeting, 24-MAR-06 - , Athlone Institute of Technology, Ireland
- Murphy, P., Life choices: classrooms identifying with the drama of debate in new reproductive and genetic technologies, Science//Society Research Seminar, 27-JAN-06 - 27-JAN-06, Dublin City University
- Murphy, P., Young people's perspectives on socioscientific issues using film and discussion, ESERA 2005 (European Science Education Research Association), 28-AUG-05 - 01-SEP-05, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona
- Murphy, P., Cultural understandings of biology in Ireland and Europe, Local and Global: Contested Terrains Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences Conference, 24-SEP-04 - 25-SEP-04, DCU
- Murphy, P., Using film and discussion to allow young people to express ideas about biological knowledge, genetic screening and society., NILE 2004 (Narrative and Interactive Learning Environments),, 10-AUG-04 - 13-AUG-04,