Dr James O'Higgins Norman
|Name:||Dr James O'Higgins Norman|
|Phone Number:||Ext. 7417|
Dr. James O'Higgins Norman is a Senior Lecturer and Researcher in the School of Education Studies where he is also Director of the National Anti-Bullying Research and Resource Centre (ABC). He is an Associate Editor for the Journal of Pastoral Care in Education. Since coming to DCU he has been responsible for the development of post-graduate programmes in teacher education, guidance and pastoral care. He has authored a number of books on aspects of equality and bullying in schools and he has presented conference papers on his research in Ireland, Australia, the UK, Finland and the USA. James was also a member of the NCCA Sub-Committee on Interculturalism in Education.
James' research is rooted in a sociological view of education and is concerned with the overall wellbeing of students within the school system. Specifically, James' research in recent years has focused on bullying in schools and cyberbullying among adolescents.
- The Sociological Association of Ireland (SAI) is the professional association for sociologists researching and studying Irish society as well as sociologists working in Ireland and abroad who have an interest in Irish society. - Sociological Association of Ireland
- The Educational Studies Association of Ireland is a voluntary, non political body, dedicated to the advancement of educational research in Ireland. - Educational Studies Association of Ireland
- The ISA was founded in 1949 under the auspices of UNESCO. The goal of the ISA, is to represent sociologists everywhere, regardless of their school of thought, scientific approaches or ideological opinion, and to advance sociological knowledge throughout the world. Its members come from 109 countries. - International Sociological Assocation
- For over 250 years the Royal Society for the encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce (RSA) has been a cradle of enlightenment thinking and a force for social progress. Their approach is multi-disciplinary, politically independent and combines cutting edge research and policy development with practical action. - Royal Society of Arts (London)
Research Grant Activity
- AIDS & Mobility Europe - Ethnic Minorities and Access to HIV Services in Ireland
- Gender Equality Unit of the Department of Education and Science - A Survey of Teachers on Homophobic Bullying in Irish Second-Level Schools
- Gender Equality Unit of the Department of Education and Science - The Attitudes and Experiences of Pupils, Parents, Teachers and School Administrators Regarding Homophobic Bullying in Irish Second-Level Schools.
- Enterprise Ireland - HOME-Homogenous Online Monitoring Environment (H2020 Application)
- The Equality Authority - Examining Practice in Addressing the Homophobic Bullying in Second-Level Schools in Ireland
- International Studies Association - The Real Cost of Recession: Human Rights and the Economic Downturn
- School Chaplaincy Association - School Chaplaincy Activity Rating Study
- Dr. James O'Higgins Norman. .
- O'Higgins Norman, J., Goldrick, M.. 2012. Reducing Academic Isolation in Favour of Learning Relationships Through a Virtual Classroom. JOURNAL OF LEARNING DEVELOPMENT IN HIGHER EDUCATION, 4,
- O'Higgins Norman, James. 2012. Editorial. PASTORAL CARE IN EDUCATION, 30, 2 , pp83-85.
- O'Higgins Norman, J.,Connolly, J.. 2011. Mimetic Theory and Scapegoating in the Age of Cyberbullying:The Case of Phoebe Prince. PASTORAL CARE IN EDUCATION, 29,, pp287-300.
- O'Higgins Norman, J.. 2010. Conflicts of Ethos: Issues of Equality in Faith Based Schools. EDUCATIONAL MANAGEMENT ADMINISTRATION AND LEADERSHIP, 38,, pp534-546.
- O'Higgins-Norman, J.. 2009. Straight Talking: Explorations on Homosexuality and Homophobia in Secondary Schools in Ireland. SEX EDUCATION, 9, 4, pp381-393.
- O'Higgins-Norman, J.Goldrick, M.,Harrison, K.. 2009. Pedagogy For Diversity: Mediating Between Tradition and Equality in Schools. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF CHILDREN'S SPIRITUALITY, 14,, pp323-337.
- O'Higgins-Norman, J.. 2009. Still Catching up: Schools, Sexual Orientation and Homophobia in Ireland. SEXUALITY AND CULTURE, 13,, pp1-16.
- O'Higgins-Norman, J.. 2008. Equality in the Provision of Social Personal and Health Education in the Republic of Ireland: The Case of Homophobic Bullying?. PASTORAL CARE IN EDUCATION, 26,, pp69-81.
- O'Higgins-Norman, J. 2006. Homophobia: A Final Frontier for Tolerance in Religious Education. JOURNAL OF RELIGIOUS EDUCATION, 54, 3, pp43-48.
- O'Higgins-Norman, J. 2003. Teacher Professionalism: The Pastoral Dimension. OIDEAS, 50,, pp66-78.
- O'Higgins-Norman, J. 2002. Educational Underachievement: The Contribution of Pastoral Care. IRISH EDUCATIONAL STUDIES, 21:1,, pp33-45.
- O'Higgins-Norman, J. 2000. Ethos and the Catholic School. OIDEAS, 47,, pp66-79.
- Dr. James O'Higgins Norman. .
- O'Higgins-Norman, J.. 2010. Homophobic Bullying in Irish Education. Education and Health, 28, pp9-10.
- O'Higgins-Norman, J. 2006. Developing A Pastoral Ethos in Schools. Education, 14, pp50-51.
- O'Higgins Norman, James. 2002. The School Around the Corner is Not Still the Same: The Need for Pastoral Care in Schools. Search, A Church of Ireland Journal, 25, pp185-.
- O'Higgins Norman, James. 1999. Discipline for Learning. The Furrow, 50, pp148-.
Peer Reviewed Journals
Non-Peer Reviewed Journals
- O'Higgins Norman, J.. Education Matters, Readings in Pastoral Care for School Chaplains, Guidance Counsellors and Teachers, Veritas, 2014.
- de Sousa, M., Francis, L.J., O'Higgins-Norman, J., Scott, D.G. (Eds.).. The International Handbook on Education for Spirituality, Care and Wellbeing, Springer, 2009.
- O'Higgins-Norman, J.. Homophobic Bullying in Irish Secondary Education, Academica Press, 2008.
- O'Higgins-Norman, J. Galvin, M. McNamara, G.. Straight Talk: Researching Gay & Lesbian Issues in the School Curriculum, The Centre for Educational Evaluation, DCU, 2006.
- O'Higgins-Norman, J (ed.). At the Heart of Education, Veritas, 2004.
- O'Higgins-Norman, J. Ethos and Education in Ireland, Peter Lang, 2003.
- O'Higgins Norman, James, Ging, Debbie. 2014. Bullying and Harassment (cyber bullying and the new media). The Bloomsbury Guide to Pastoral CareBloomsbury.
- O'Higgins Norman, James, Renehan, Caroline. 2013. The Custody of Spiritual Education in Ireland. Global Perspectives on Spirituality and EducationRoutledge.
- O'Higgins Norman, James. 2011. Sociology of Education. Education Studies in IrelandGill and McMillan.
- O'Higgins Norman, James and Hall, Edward J.. 2009. Violence and Conflict in Schools: Negotiating Pathways to Wellbeing. The International Handbook on Education for Spirituality, Care and Wellbeing.Springer.
- King, Paul and O'Higgins Norman, James. 2007. Evaluating The Impact Of A State Religious Education Syllabus. International Handbook of the Religious, Spiritual and Moral Dimensions in Education, pp1019-1030, Springer.
- O'Higgins Norman, James. 2003. Pastoral Care in Schools. Re-imagining The Catholic SchoolDublin.
- O'Higgins-Norman, J.. 2009. The Spirit of Generation Y: Young Peoples Spirituality in a Changing Australia. 14, pp169-177.
- O'Higgins-Norman, J.. 2005. Theorising Irish Social Policy. 14, pp183-183.
- O'Higgins-Norman, J. 2000. Loss, Change & Grief: An Educational Perspective. 14, pp60-62.
- Ging, D. O'Higgins Norman, J., Communication for Empowerment: Citizens, Markets, Innovations, European Communications Research and Education Association, 12-NOV-14 - 15-NOV-14, Lisbon, Portugal
- O'Higgins Norman, James and Ging, Debbie, Teenage Girls Understanding and Experiences of Cyberbullying, Stalking, Cyber Space and Young People, 18-OCT-13 - 18-OCT-13, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia
- O'Higgins Norman, James, and Ging, Debbie, Social media crisis? Teenagers' understandings and experiences of cyberbullying in an Irish second-level school, International Association for Media and Communication Research Annual Conference, 25-JUN-13 - 29-JUN-13, Dublin City University
- O'Higgins Norman, James, Interventionist and Educational Approaches to Cyberbullying in Schools, In: Connolly, Irene ed.Dealing with Cyberbullying, 23-MAR-13 - 23-MAR-13, Dun Laoghaire
- O'Higgins Norman, James, From Resistance to Transformation: Researching Sex Education in Denominational Schools, In: Rasmussen, Mary Lou; Marshall, Daniel. ed.Researching Sexualities Education, 14-JUL-11 - 15-JUL-11, Prato, Italy
- O'Higgins-Norman, J., Learning for Connectedness, Edumund Rice Schools Trust, 14-OCT-10 - 14-OCT-10, Kilkenny
- O'Higgins-Norman, J.Flanagan, B., Renehan, C., Williams, K., , Changing Boundaries: Spirituality and Education, 22-JUN-10 - 23-JUN-10, Dublin City University, Ireland
- O'Higgins, J. Apodaca, C., The Real Cost of Recession: Human Rights and the Economic Downturn, International Studies Association Annual Convention, 16-FEB-10 - 20-FEB-10, New Orleans
- O'Higgins-Norman, J. Mulcahy, C., , Leading Schools in an Intercultural Ireland, 06-FEB-10 - 06-FEB-10, Dublin City University, Ireland
- O'Higgins-Norman, J., de Souza, M., Religion, Spirituality and Wellbeing: Implications for Living and Learning, Make a World of Difference: Parliament of the World Religions, 03-DEC-09 - 09-DEC-09, Melbourne, Australia
- O'Higgins-Norman, J., Inter-disciplinary seminar series, Schools, Society and Diversity: Developing an Equality Competent School., 20-FEB-09 - 20-FEB-09, Humanities Institute of Ireland, UCD
- O'Higgins-Norman, J., Leadership and Control, Ethos and Diversity in Faith Based Schools, Equality and Diversity in Educational Leadership, 04-JUL-08 - 06-JUL-08, Aston University, Birmingham, UK
- O'Higgins-Norman, Sexuality, Recognition and Wellbeing: How High Schools in Ireland are Measuring Up?, The Role of Spirituality in Childrens' Education and Health, 20-JAN-08 - 25-JAN-08, Australian Catholic University, Ballarat, Australia
- O'Higgins-Norman, J., Ethics, Politics and Resistance to Research on Homophobic Bullying, Symposium on Professional Research, 13-NOV-07 - 13-NOV-07, Institute of Education, University of London
- O'Higgins-Norman, J., Mulcahy,C., Evaluating Quality of Teaching and Learning in Further Education, In: Morgan, G. ed.Further Education: Reflections on the Past, Focus on the Present, Visions for the Future, 21-NOV-06 - 22-NOV-06, Waterford College of Further Education
- O'Higgins-Norman, J., McNamara, G., Evaluating Relationships and Sexuality Education in Ireland: The Case of Gay and Lesbian Issues, World Curriculum Studies Conference, 21-MAY-06 - 24-MAY-06, Tampere, Finland
- O'Higgins-Norman, J., O'Hara, J., "You Can't Tell Me What To Do, I Know My Rights" Student Behaviour in Second-Level Schools., DCU Faculty of Humanities & Social Sciences Conference, 11-MAY-06 - 12-MAY-06, Dublin City University
- O'Higgins-Norman, J., McNamara, G., Feel The Fear and Do It Anyway: Identifying The Need for Sexuality Education in Irish Second-Level Schools, Association for Moral Education 31st Annual Conference, 03-NOV-05 - 05-NOV-05, Harvard University Cambridge Massachusetts
- O'Higgins-Norman, J., Galvin, M., Homophobia in Schools: Implications for the Role and Identity of the Teacher, European Conference on Education Research, 08-SEP-05 - 10-SEP-05, European Educational Research Association,Dublin
- O'Higgins-Norman, J., Identifying the Gaps in HIV/AIDS Education in Irish Second-Level Schools, In: Van Leeuwen, Astrid ed.AIDS Mobility EU Conference, 16-JUN-05 - 18-JUN-05, Dublin City University Dublin
- O'Higgins-Norman, J., The Place of Pastoral Care in Catholic Schools, Scottish Catholic Education Service Annual Conference, 16-JUN-04 - 16-JUN-04, Gillis College,Edinburgh
- O'Higgins-Norman,J., Developing a Professional Approach to Pastoral Care in Hospitals , National Healthcare Chaplains Association Annual Conference, 30-APR-03 - 30-APR-03, N.A.H.C. Dublin
- O'Higgins-Norman, J., Pastoral Care in Schools: Professional or Presumed?, In: Monahan, L. Prendergast, N. ed.Re-imagining the Catholic School, 06-MAR-02 - 06-MAR-02, Marino Institute of Education, Dublin
- O'Higgins-Norman, J., Promoting Educational Equality: The Contribution of Pastoral Care, Educational Studies Association of Ireland Annual Conference, 05-APR-01 - 06-APR-01, Mary Immaculate College, University of Limerick