Dr Majella McSharry
|Name:||Dr Majella McSharry|
|Phone Number:||Ext. 7162|
Personal Contact Information
Dr Majella McSharry is a lecturer in Sociology at the School of Education Studies. Majella also qualified and worked as a secondary school teacher. In 2006 she completed a PhD in Sociology at NUIM entitled 'Schooled Bodies: Adolescents Encountering Complexities in the Pursuit of Embodied Validation'. She was one of two Doctoral students in Ireland to be awarded a three year scholarship by the National Children's Office in 2002 to undertake her research. In the past Majella has lectured on the Sociology of the Body, the Sociology of Education, on the area of 'Adolescence' and on Research Methods in colleges such as NUI Maynooth, St. Patrick's College Drumcondra and the National College of Art and Design. Majella is an Advising Examiner for CSPE with the State Examinations Commission and is an expert assessor for CSPE with the Teaching Council of Ireland. She was an executive member of the Educational Studies Association of Ireland from 2006-2012, where she acted as the Association's annual conference coordinator. She is currently an executive member of the Ubuntu network and of RCE Dublin, the regional centre for expertise in in Education for Sustainable Development. She is the Research Convenor for the School of Education Studies and also acts as the DCU representative on the St. Patrick's College Drumcondra Research Ethics Committee.
The sociology of the body and particularly the embodied narratives of children and adolescents. The experiences of Irish youth in second level schools with regard to teaching and learning and the dynamic of peer networks. Gender studies and the construction of gendered identities, with particular reference to participation in school sport. Citizenship education focusing on the school structures that facilitate student action.
- Majella McSharry. .
- Holland, C., Mulcahy, C., Judge, M., Lovatt, J., Scanlon, G., Rami, J., Corrigan, T and McSharry, M.. 2014. `A Case Study of Infusing Sustainability within Dublin City University, through engagement in the EU TEMPUS Reorienting University Curricula to Address Sustainability (RUCAS) project? in International Journal of Reorienting University Curricula to Address Sustainability.
- McSharry, M. and Mulcahy, C.. 2012. The Changing Face of Teacher Education in Ireland: A Major overhaul or a cosmetic review? in 'Educational Research e-Journal'. 1, 2
Peer Reviewed Journals
- Majella McSharry. Schooled Bodies? Negotiating Adolescent Validation through Press, Peers and Parents, Trentham Books, 2009.
- Majella McSharry. .
- McSharry, M and Walsh, B. 2014. Fostering Complicit Femininity: Epoch, Education and the Young Female Body . A Critical Youth Studies for the 21st CenturyBrill.
- McSharry, M.. 2012. The Role of Irish Secondary Schools in Teenage Obesity: Activism or Sizism. Towards Transformative Education: A Multidisciplinary perspective on research and practice in Bulgaria and IrelandUniversity of Sofia Press.
- McSharry, M., O?Hara, J., Lahart, J., Lovatt, J., and McNamara, G.,. 2012. Managing Stress in Initial Teacher Education: Challenges and Opportunities. Towards Transformative Education: A Multidisciplinary perspective on research and practice in Bulgaria and IrelandUniversity of Sofia Press.
- Majella McSharry. 2008. Stuck in a Ruck: The Impact of Rugby on Social Belonging. Belongings: Shaping Identity in Modern IrelandInstitute of Public Administration.
- Majella McSharry. 2008. Living with Contradictions: Teenagers' Experiences of Active Citizenship and Competitive Individualism. Education for Citizenship and Diversity in Irish ContextsIAP.
- McSharry, M, Male Domination in School Sport. What the girls have to say., European Sociological Association, 25-AUG-15 - 28-AUG-15, Prague, Czech Republic
- McSharry. M. , The Role of Irish Secondary Schools in Teenage Obesity: Activism or Sizism?, Self, Selves and Sexualities: The Second Irish International Conference in Sexuality Studies, 08-MAR-12 - 10-MAR-12, DCU, Dublin
- McSharry, M. and Mulcahy, M. , `The Changing Face of Teacher Education in Ireland: A major overhaul or a cosmetic review?, Conference on Teacher Education Policy, 09-FEB-12 - 12-FEB-12, University of Granada, Spain
- McSharry, M. and Cusack. M. , `Investigating `Controversial Action? in Citizenship Education, Five Nations Network Conference, 08-DEC-11 - 09-DEC-11, Dublin, Ireland
- McSharry, M. and Cusack. M. , `Irish Citizenship Education: Promoting Controversial or Conservative Student Action?, International Conference on Human Rights and Violent Behaviour: The Social and Educational Perspective, 26-NOV-11 - 27-NOV-11, University of Cyprus, Nicosia, Cyprus
- McSharry, M. and Cusack. M. , Enabling and Transforming Partnerships in Radical Action Projects, ESAI Annual Conference, 07-APR-11 - 09-APR-11, Church of Ireland College of Education, Dublin
- McSharry, M. , Active Citizenship Vs Competitive Individualism, ESAI Annual Conference, 26-MAR-09 - 28-MAR-09, Kilkenny
- McSharry, M. , Do schools have time for Active Citizenship?, ENERCE Conference, 03-SEP-08 - 06-SEP-08, Seville, Spain
- McSharry, M. , Too Fat or Too Thin to fit in?, What Ivory Towers ? Gender, the Body and Sexuality, 09-MAY-08 - 09-MAY-08, UCD, Dublin
- McSharry, M. , Embodied Stigmatisation in Adolescent School Communities, American Educational Research Association, 24-MAR-08 - 31-MAR-08, New York, USA
- McSharry, M. , Schooled Bodies, Dept. of Health and Children Public Lecture, 14-NOV-07 - 14-NOV-07, Dublin
- McSharry, M. , Are you a Man or a Mouse? The Role of the Body in Establishing Adolescent Peer Networks, ESAI Annual Conference, 29-MAR-07 - 31-MAR-07, Cavan
- McSharry, M., Bodily Control as a Solution to Social Insecurities, ESAI Annual Conference, 30-MAR-06 - 01-APR-06, NCAD, Dublin
- McSharry, M., The Embodied Influences of Family and Friends on Teenagers, Annual Postgraduate Open Day, 22-APR-05 - 22-APR-05, NUI Maynooth
- McSharry, M. , The Projection of the Self Among Adolescents, Sociological Imaginations Annual Conference, 16-SEP-04 - 18-SEP-04, Queen?s University Belfast
- McSharry, M, Bad Body, Fat Friends?, Sociological and Anthropology Symposium, 16-JAN-04 - 18-JAN-04, NUI Maynooth