Information for new postgraduate students 2017-18
For details on how to register, please visit the Registry webpages.
Orientation for new postgraduate students will take place on the afternoon of Friday 15th September 2017.
Students can register for orientation by logging onto the following page:
It is important that all incoming research students attend the orientation event on Friday 15th, regardless of their current registration status. If you have not registered yet, please feel free to turn up to orientation on the day.
1) Information session for new research students:
Date: Friday 15th September 2017
Venue: Room QG21 (ground floor DCU Business School, Glasnevin Campus)
All new research students (including research students who arrived during 2016-17 but missed last year's orientation) are invited to attend a 1-hour introductory session which aims to give new research students an overview of the research environment in DCU, and information on the specific facilities and support services of particular relevance to research students. It will be hosted by the Dean of Graduate Studies, Professor Joseph Stokes.
2) Main Postgraduate Orientation Event for all Postgraduate Students:
Date: Friday 15th September 2017
Venue: Mahony Hall, The Helix
All new postgraduate students, whether pursuing a research or a taught programme, are invited to attend this orientation session. Students will be given an introduction into postgraduate study at DCU and will have the opportunity to speak to staff from various student services including Information Systems Services, Sports, Students’ Union, Health & Safety, Security, Library, Alumni and Student Support & Development.
During Semester 1 2017-18 the Graduate Studies Office will host a series of seminars and workshops covering topics of relevance to new research students such as planning your research, managing your data and information, and planning your personal and professional development. The schedule will be finalised in early September and the details will be comunicated to all students via Loop. Students can log into Loop using their DCU login credentials and find our page under my courses (our page is called 2018_GRADRES). Details will also be uploaded here once details have been finalised.
- Navigating your way through your DCU Research degree - understanding systems and processes - Professor Joseph Stokes, Dean of Graduate Studies
- Graduate Training Planning - Dr Stephen Carroll, Graduate Studies Office
- Writing in the 1st year - Dr Dan Soule . Note: this is a full day workshop with limited places.
- Research Integrity - An Introduction. Note: this is one of four workshops delivered as part of the Research Integrity Training Programme. Further details can be found here.
- Library induction week for research students. Note: a series of short workshops and information sessions will be delivered during this week specific to research students.
- Academic Regulations for Postgraduate Programmes by Research & Thesis
- University regulations
- University research policies and procedures
- DCU Academic Integrity and Plagiarism Policy
Handbook and guidelines:
- Postgraduate Student Handbook
- Research Student Orientation Booklet 2017-18
- Points of contact in DCU for postgraduate students
- Library information for researchers
- Postgraduate Research (PGR) Assessment & Progression process / forms
- Academic Roles and Responsibilities in Graduate Research
Research degress skills and quality assurance:
Stay in touch!
- Follow our Twitter feed
- Log in to your DCU email account - we send regular emails to the postgraduate community from firstname.lastname@example.org