Prof Helena Sheehan
|Name:||Prof Helena Sheehan|
|Work Area:||Associate, Adjunct and Emeritus|
Prof Helena Sheehan
Born in the USA. Grew up catholic and conservative. As result of study, became agnostic and liberal, then atheist and radical. Started university and taught primary school as a nun. Left convent, then church and country. Earned degrees: BS in 1967 from St Joseph's College in Philadelphia, MA in 1970 from Temple University in Philadelphia, PhD in 1980 from Trinity College Dublin in philosophy. Travelled often to Eastern Europe for research purposes. Wrote books: Marxism and the Philosophy of Science: A Critical History published in 1985 and 1993; Irish Television Drama: A Society and Its Stories published in 1987 and 2004; The Continuing Story of Irish Television Drama: Tracking the Tiger published in 2004. Co-edited Mapping Irish Media: Critical Explorations published in 2007. Appointed to permanent position at DCU in 1994. Made 5 research trips to South Africa between 2001-2007, based primarily at University of Cape Town, investigating intellectual dynamics of post-apartheid universities. Over the years taught university courses, supervised postgraduate research, presented conference papers, gave public lectures, appeared on radio and tv, sought truth, marched against injustice. Stuck with marxism after many others abandoned it.
philosophy, history of ideas, sociology of knowledge, political theory, science studies, media studies
Selected Peer Reviewed Journals
- Helena Sheehan. 2009. Contradictory transformations: observations on the intellectual dynamics of South African universities. Journal For Critical Education Policy Studies, 7, 1
- Helena Sheehan & Sheamus Sweeney. 2009. The wire and the world: narrative and metanarrative. Jump Cut, 51
- Helena Sheehan. 2009. Philosophy and science: connection, disconnection, consequences. The Pantaneto Forum, 34
- Helena Sheehan. 2007. Marxism & science studies: a sweep through the decades. International Studies In The Philosophy Of Science, 21, 2, pp197-210.
- Helena Sheehan. 2007. JD Bernal: philosophy, politics and the science of science. Journal Of Physics, 57, John Desmond Bernal: Science and Society, pp29-39.
- Helena Sheehan. 2006. Fair City. Estudios Irlandeses, 1, 1, pp175-178.
- Helena Sheehan. 1992. On Public Service Broadcasting: Against the Tide. Irish Communications Review, 2,, pp59-60.
- Helena Sheehan. 1992. The Parameters of the Permissable: Scrap Saturday. Irish Communications Review, 2, , pp73-74.
- Helena Sheehan. 1992. America: Symptoms of Decline. The Irish Review, 11,, pp56-64.
- Helena Sheehan. 1991. Writing and the Zeitgeist. Irish University Review, 21,, pp295-306.
- John Horgan, Barbara O'Connor, Helena Sheehan (ed). Mapping Irish Media: Critical Explorations, UCD Press, 2007.
- Helena Sheehan. The Continuing Story of Irish Television Drama: Tracking the Tiger, Four Courts Press, 2004.
- Helena Sheehan. European Socialism: A Blind Alley or a Long and Winding Road ?, MSF, 1992.
- Helena Sheehan. Has the Red Flag Fallen?, Attic Press, 1989.
- Helena Sheehan. Irish Television Drama: A Society and Its Stories, Radio Telefis Eireann, 1987.
- Helena Sheehan. Marxism and the Philosophy of Science: A Critical History, Humanities Press, 1985.
- Helena Sheehan. 2011. A Hidden Ireland. Marxist Perspectives on Irish Society, pp191-197.
- Helena Sheehan. 2007. Television drama as social history: the case of Fair City. Mapping Irish Media: Critical Explorations, pp142-156.
- John Horgan, Barbara O'Connor, Helena Sheehan. 2007. Introduction. Mapping Irish Media: Critical Explorations, pp1-13.
- Helena Sheehan. 2005. The Lysenko Case. Encyclopedia of Science, Technology and Ethics
- Helena Sheehan. 2005. John Desmond Bernal. Encyclopedia of Science, Technology and Ethics
- Helena Sheehan. 2005. Marxism. Encyclopedia of Science Technology and Ethics
- Helena Sheehan. 2005. A Voice From the Dead (Introduction). Philosophical Arabesques by NI Bukharin, pp1-35.
- Helena Sheehan. 2004. John Desmond Bernal. Dictionary of Irish Philosophers
- Helena Sheehan. 2001. Television. The Blackwell Companion to Modern Irish Culture, pp559-561.
- E Holt & H Sheehan. 1997. Television in Ireland. Television in Europe, pp77-86.
- Helena Sheehan. 1994. Has the red flag fallen ?. A Dozen LIPS, pp22-44.
- Helena Sheehan. 1993. Portrait of a Marxist as a Young Nun. Marxism and Spirituality: An International Anthology, pp153-170.
- Helena Sheehan. 1978. The False Dilemma of the 20th Century. Dialectical Materialism and Modern Science, pp47-51.
- Professor Helena Sheehan. .
- Helena Sheehan. 2011. South Africa Pushed to the Limit by Hein Marais. Monthly Review, 63, pp52-56.
- Helena Sheehan. 2010. Jack Rosenthal by Sue Vice. European Journal Of Communication, 25, pp91-93.
- Helena Sheehan. 2009. Religion and the Human Prospect by Alexander Saxton. Science & Society, 73, pp554-555.
- Helena Sheehan. 2006. Popular Television Drama edited by Jonathan Bignell & Stephen Lacey. European Journal Of Communication, 21, pp263-265.
- Helena Sheehan. 2001. Beyond the Science Wars edited by Ullica Segerstrale. Public Understanding Of Science, 10, pp249-250.
- Helena Sheehan. 2000. Questioning Ireland edited by Joseph Dunne, Attracta Ingram & Frank Litton. Irish Political Studies,
- Helena Sheehan. 2000. Marx's Ecology by John Bellamy Foster. Monthly Review, 52, pp40-43.
- Helena Sheehan. 1995. Communication, Culture and Hegemony by Jesus Martin-Barbero. Irish Communications Review, 5, pp103-105.
- Helena Sheehan. 1992. Melting Snow by Conor O'Clery.
- Helena Sheehan. 1988. East of Dallas by Alessandro Silj.
Selected Non-peer Reviewed Journals
- Helena Sheehan. 2012. Is history a coherent story?. Critical Legal Thinking,
- Helena Sheehan. 2012. Occupying Dublin: Considerations at the Crossroads. Irish Left Review,
- Helena Sheehan. 2011. Occupy Dublin: Take back the world stolen from us. Irish Left Review,
- Helena Sheehan. 2007. Philosophy & science: connection, disconnection, consequences. Skeptical Times, 5, pp13-16.
- Helena Sheehan. 1998. Grand narratives then and now: Can we still conceptualise history?. Socialism and Democracy, 12, pp75-87.
- Helena Sheehan. 1996. The end of history? Grand narratives of our time. Times Change, pp17-23.
- Helena Sheehan. 1992. The end of his story. Graph, pp21-25.
- Helena Sheehan. 1991. Of Snails and Sisyphus. Graph, pp3-5.
- Helena Sheehan. 1991. Reflections on Eastern Europe. Making Sense, pp20-22.
- Helena Sheehan. 1989. Navigating the zeitgeist. Socialism in the World, 13, pp122-140.
- Helena Sheehan. 1985. Is television drama ideological?. The Crane Bag, 9, pp79-82.
- , , , - ,
- Helena Sheehan, Class & Culture, Class & Culture, 28-APR-12 - , Connolly Books
- Helena Sheehan, The Occupy Movement, Crisis, Austerity & Resistance, 25-APR-12 - 26-APR-12, University of Limerick
- Helena Sheehan, An Aisling for Our Age, EngAge Ideas Forum, 21-FEB-12 - , Royal Irish Academy
- Helena Sheehan, What (if anything) has marxism to offer to science studies?, UCL STS seminar series, 08-MAR-10 - 08-MAR-10, University College London
- Helena Sheehan, Marxist historiography and the history of philosophy, Teaching Marxism, 17-FEB-10 - 17-FEB-10, Peoples History Museum, Manchester
- Helena Sheehan and Sheamus Sweeney, Another tv drama is possible: The Wire, Marxism 2008, 07-NOV-08 - 09-NOV-08, Dublin
- Helena Sheehan, Universities, social movements and market forces: the fate of philosophy, UCD Philosophy Society, 21-OCT-08 - , UCD Dublin
- Helena Sheehan, Why the new interest in marxism and science?, Marxism(s) and Historiography of Science, 27-MAR-08 - , Université Paris 7
- Helena Sheehan, Identities, ideologies and intellectuals, Forging Identities, 15-FEB-08 - 16-FEB-08, DCU
- Helena Sheehan, Breakfast roll man, public space and planet of slums, After the election, 22-NOV-07 - , Ireland Institute for Historical and Cultural Studies
- Helena Sheehan, Marxism and science: the historical drama, the contemporary conjuncture, Historical Materialism, 09-NOV-07 - 11-NOV-07, SOAS, University of London
- Helena Sheehan, Marxism and the natural sciences, Marxism in the 21st century, 26-OCT-07 - 28-OCT-07, Ruskin House, Croydon
- Helena Sheehan, The centenary of Christopher Caudwell, Marxism in the 21st century, 26-OCT-07 - 28-OCT-07, Ruskin House, Croydon
- Helena Sheehan, Christopher Caudwell and the philosophical landscape of the century, Caudwell centenary conference, 20-OCT-07 - , London
- Helena Sheehan, The assault on scientific rationality: historical analysis and epistemological response, The assault on science: constructing a response, 13th Congress of European Skeptical Organisations, 07-SEP-07 - 09-SEP-07, Dublin
- Helena Sheehan, Philosophy & science: connection, disconnection, consequences, Irish Skeptics Society public lecture series, 06-JUN-07 - , Dublin
- Helena Sheehan, Marxism and the interpretation of science, Marxism and the interpretation of culture lecture series, 04-MAY-07 - , University of London, Institute for Historical Research
- Helena Sheehan, Marxism and science studies: a sweep through the decades, 34th annual philosophy of science conference, 16-APR-07 - 20-APR-07, Inter-University Centre, Dubrovnik
- Helena Sheehan, Universities, social movements and market forces, All Africa House lecture series, 08-MAR-07 - , University of Cape Town
- Helena Sheehan, Identities, ideologies, market forces and social scientists, Dept of Sociology seminar series, 22-FEB-07 - , University of Cape Town
- Helena Sheehan, Identities and ideologies: Are sociologists stenographers of the surface?", Sociological Association of Ireland conference on Identities, 04-NOV-06 - , Dublin
- Helena Sheehan, Marxism and science studies: 1931 and now, Scientists and social commitment, British Society for the History of Science conference, 15-SEP-06 - 17-SEP-06, Science Museum, London
- Helena Sheehan, Fair City & our fair city: soap opera & social order, Irish Media in Local & Global Contexts, Irish Media Research Network, 16-JUN-06 - , Dublin Institute of Technology
- Helena Sheehan, JD Bernal: politics, philosophy & the science of science, JD Bernal, Science & Society. Institute of Physics conference, 01-JUN-06 - , Limerick Institute of Technology
- Helena Sheehan, Are the humanities threatened by the increasing commercialisation of universities? (debate with Ferdinand von Prondzynski, president of DCU), Humanities Festival, 11-MAY-06 - 12-MAY-06, DCU
- Helena Sheehan, The influence of marxism on science studies, Geopolitics, marxism & 75 years of science studies, 31-MAR-06 - 01-APR-06, Princeton University
- Helena Sheehan, Speaking of the south: northern voices and southern realities, Education for Development in a Globalising World, 23-MAR-06 - 24-MAR-06, DCU
- Helena Sheehan, Is socialism a spent force?, Literary and Historical Society of University College Dublin 150th session, 10-NOV-04 - , UCD
- Helena Sheehan, The West Wing and the wider world: transatlantic perspectives on idealised America, Dept of American & Canadian Studies seminar series, 18-OCT-04 - , University of Birmingham
- Helena Sheehan, The West Wing and the wider world: idealised America and the fantasy of the free world, Contested Terrains, 24-SEP-04 - 25-SEP-04, DCU
- Helena Sheehan, Teaching philosophy in the 21st century, Royal Institute of Philosophy, 01-MAR-04 - , University of Wales Cardiff
- Helena Sheehan, Contending world views of our times project, e-learning day, 18-FEB-04 - , DCU
- Helena Sheehan, The new South Africa: a multimedia presentation, South Africa week, 26-NOV-02 - 30-NOV-02, The Helix
- Helena Sheehan, Contending world views of our times, Association of Irish Humanists, 06-OCT-02 - , Dublin
- Helena Sheehan, Cultures and transformation in post-apartheid South Africa, Cultures in Conflict, 22-FEB-02 - 23-FEB-02, DCU
- Helena Sheehan, Philosophy and transformation, Philosophical Society of Southern Africa, 21-JAN-02 - 23-JAN-02, University of Stellenbosch
- Helena Sheehan, The history of ideas and the other, Cultures in Transition, 18-FEB-00 - 19-FEB-00, DCU
- Helena Sheehan, Class: defining it, debating it, dramatising it, Understanding Class in Ireland, 11-DEC-99 - 12-DEC-99, UCD
- Helena Sheehan, Marxism and the science wars, 20th World Congress of Philosophy, 10-AUG-98 - 16-AUG-98, Boston
- Helena Sheehan, Grand narratives then and now, International Conference on the 150th Anniversary of the Communist Manifesto, 13-MAY-98 - 16-MAY-98, Paris
- Helena Sheehan, Soap opera and social order, Imagining Ireland, 30-OCT-93 - 31-OCT-93, Irish Film Centre
- Helena Sheehan, Images of the 60s in the 80s: memories of social unrest in US tv drama, 3rd International Television Studies Conference, 20-JUL-88 - 22-JUL-88, London
- Helena Sheehan, The unity of science, 16th International Congress of the History of Science, 26-AUG-81 - 03-SEP-81, Bucharest
- Helena Sheehan, The history of the philosophy of science: a broader perspective, 6th International Congress of Logic, Methodology and Philosophy of Science, 22-AUG-79 - 29-AUG-79, Hannover