Dr James O'Higgins Norman
|Name:||Dr James O'Higgins Norman|
|Work Area:||Academic Staff|
Dr. James O'Higgins Norman is a Senior Lecturer and Researcher in the School of Education Studies where he is also Director of the National Anti-Bullying Research and Resource Centre (ABC). He is an International Associate Editor for the Journal of Pastoral Care in Education. Since coming to DCU he has been responsible for the development of post-graduate programmes in teacher education, guidance and pastoral care. He has authored a number of books on aspects of equality and bullying in schools and he has presented conference papers on his research in Ireland, Australia, the UK, Finland and the USA. James was also a member of the NCCA Sub-Committee on Interculturalism in Education.
James' research is rooted in a sociological view of education and is concerned with the overall wellbeing of students within the school system. Specifically, James' research in recent years can be designated under four headings - Equality Law and Educational Provision - Relationships and Sexuality Education - Bullying in Second-Level Schools - Spirituality and Education. James is the founder of the Schooling Sexualities Research Network and co-founder of the Wellbeing, Interculturalism and Spirituality in Educational Research (WISER) Consortium.Click here to view my current research projects.
Selected Peer Reviewed Journals
- Dr. James O'Higgins Norman. .
- O'Higgins Norman, J., Goldrick, M. 2012. Reducing Academic Isolation in Favour of Learning Relationships Through a Virtual Classroom. Journal Of Learning Development In Higher Education, 4,
- O'Higgins Norman, James. 2012. Editorial. Pastoral Care In Education, 30, 2 , pp83-85.
- O'Higgins Norman, J.,Connolly, J. 2011. Mimetic Theory and Scapegoating in the Age of Cyberbullying:The Case of Phoebe Prince. Pastoral Care In Education, 29,, pp287-300.
- O'Higgins Norman, J. 2010. Conflicts of Ethos: Issues of Equality in Faith Based Schools. Educational Management Administration And Leadership, 38,, pp534-546.
- O'Higgins-Norman, J. 2009. Straight Talking: Explorations on Homosexuality and Homophobia in Secondary Schools in Ireland. Sex Education, 9, 4, pp381-393.
- O'Higgins-Norman, J.Goldrick, M.,Harrison, K. 2009. Pedagogy For Diversity: Mediating Between Tradition and Equality in Schools. International Journal Of Children's Spirituality, 14,, pp323-337.
- O'Higgins-Norman, J. 2009. Still Catching up: Schools, Sexual Orientation and Homophobia in Ireland. Sexuality And Culture, 13,, pp1-16.
- O'Higgins-Norman, J. 2008. Equality in the Provision of Social Personal and Health Education in the Republic of Ireland: The Case of Homophobic Bullying?. Pastoral Care In Education, 26,, pp69-81.
- O'Higgins-Norman, J. 2006. Homophobia: A Final Frontier for Tolerance in Religious Education. Journal Of Religious Education, 54, 3, pp43-48.
- O'Higgins-Norman, J. 2003. Teacher Professionalism: The Pastoral Dimension. Oideas, 50,, pp66-78.
- O'Higgins-Norman, J. 2002. Educational Underachievement: The Contribution of Pastoral Care. Irish Educational Studies, 21:1,, pp33-45.
- O'Higgins-Norman, J. 2000. Ethos and the Catholic School. Oideas, 47,, pp66-79.
- de Sousa, M., Francis, L.J., O'Higgins-Norman, J., Scott, D.G. (Eds.). The International Handbook on Education for Spirituality, Care and Wellbeing, Springer, 2009.
- O'Higgins-Norman, J. Homophobic Bullying in Irish Secondary Education, Academica Press, 2008.
- O'Higgins-Norman, J. Galvin, M. McNamara, G. Straight Talk: Researching Gay & Lesbian Issues in the School Curriculum, The Centre for Educational Evaluation, DCU, 2006.
- O'Higgins-Norman, J (ed.). At the Heart of Education, Veritas, 2004.
- O'Higgins-Norman, J. Ethos and Education in Ireland, Peter Lang, 2003.
- O'Higgins Norman, James, Ging, Debbie. 2014. Bullying and Harassment (cyber bullying and the new media). The Bloomsbury Guide to Pastoral Care, Bloomsbury
- O'Higgins Norman, James, Renehan, Caroline. 2013. The Custody of Spiritual Education in Ireland. Global Perspectives on Spirituality and Education, Routledge
- O'Higgins Norman, James. 2011. Sociology of Education. Education Studies in Ireland, Gill and McMillan
- O'Higgins Norman, James and Hall, Edward J. 2009. Violence and Conflict in Schools: Negotiating Pathways to Wellbeing. The International Handbook on Education for Spirituality, Care and Wellbeing., Springer
- King, Paul and O'Higgins Norman, James. 2007. Evaluating The Impact Of A State Religious Education Syllabus. International Handbook of the Religious, Spiritual and Moral Dimensions in Education, pp1019-1030., Springer
- O'Higgins Norman, James. 2003. Pastoral Care in Schools. Re-imagining The Catholic School, Dublin
- O'Higgins-Norman, J. 2009. The Spirit of Generation Y: Young Peoples Spirituality in a Changing Australia. International Journal Of Children's Spirituality, 14, pp169-177.
- O'Higgins-Norman, J. 2005. Theorising Irish Social Policy. Irish Journal Of Sociology, 14, pp183-183.
- O'Higgins-Norman, J. 2000. Loss, Change & Grief: An Educational Perspective. Reach - Journal Of Special Needs Education In Ireland, 14, pp60-62.
Selected Non-peer Reviewed Journals
- Dr. James O'Higgins Norman. .
- O'Higgins-Norman, J. 2010. Homophobic Bullying in Irish Education. Education and Health, 28, pp9-10.
- O'Higgins-Norman, J. 2006. Developing A Pastoral Ethos in Schools. Education, 14, pp50-51.
- O'Higgins Norman, James. 2002. The School Around the Corner is Not Still the Same: The Need for Pastoral Care in Schools. Search, A Church of Ireland Journal, 25, pp185-.
- O'Higgins Norman, James. 1999. Discipline for Learning. The Furrow, 50, pp148-.
- O'Higgins Norman, James and Ging, Debbie, Teenage Girls Understanding and Experiences of Cyberbullying, Stalking, Cyber Space and Young People, 18-OCT-13 - 18-OCT-13, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia
- O'Higgins Norman, James, and Ging, Debbie, Social media crisis? Teenagers' understandings and experiences of cyberbullying in an Irish second-level school, International Association for Media and Communication Research Annual Conference, 25-JUN-13 - 29-JUN-13, Dublin City University
- O'Higgins Norman, James, Interventionist and Educational Approaches to Cyberbullying in Schools, In: Connolly, Irene ed.Dealing with Cyberbullying, 23-MAR-13 - 23-MAR-13, Dún Laoghaire
- O'Higgins Norman, James, From Resistance to Transformation: Researching Sex Education in Denominational Schools, In: Rasmussen, Mary Lou; Marshall, Daniel. ed.Researching Sexualities Education, 14-JUL-11 - 15-JUL-11, Prato, Italy
- O'Higgins-Norman, J., Learning for Connectedness, Edumund Rice Schools Trust, 14-OCT-10 - 14-OCT-10, Kilkenny
- O'Higgins-Norman, J.Flanagan, B., Renehan, C., Williams, K., , Changing Boundaries: Spirituality and Education, 22-JUN-10 - 23-JUN-10, Dublin City University, Ireland
- O'Higgins, J. Apodaca, C., The Real Cost of Recession: Human Rights and the Economic Downturn, International Studies Association Annual Convention, 16-FEB-10 - 20-FEB-10, New Orleans
- O'Higgins-Norman, J. Mulcahy, C., , Leading Schools in an Intercultural Ireland, 06-FEB-10 - 06-FEB-10, Dublin City University, Ireland
- O'Higgins-Norman, J., de Souza, M., Religion, Spirituality and Wellbeing: Implications for Living and Learning, Make a World of Difference: Parliament of the World Religions, 03-DEC-09 - 09-DEC-09, Melbourne, Australia
- O'Higgins-Norman, J., Inter-disciplinary seminar series, Schools, Society and Diversity: Developing an Equality Competent School., 20-FEB-09 - 20-FEB-09, Humanities Institute of Ireland, UCD
- O'Higgins-Norman, J., Leadership and Control, Ethos and Diversity in Faith Based Schools, Equality and Diversity in Educational Leadership, 04-JUL-08 - 06-JUL-08, Aston University, Birmingham, UK
- O'Higgins-Norman, Sexuality, Recognition and Wellbeing: How High Schools in Ireland are Measuring Up?, The Role of Spirituality in Childrens' Education and Health, 20-JAN-08 - 25-JAN-08, Australian Catholic University, Ballarat, Australia
- O'Higgins-Norman, J., Ethics, Politics and Resistance to Research on Homophobic Bullying, Symposium on Professional Research, 13-NOV-07 - 13-NOV-07, Institute of Education, University of London
- O'Higgins-Norman, J., Mulcahy,C., Evaluating Quality of Teaching and Learning in Further Education, In: Morgan, G. ed.Further Education: Reflections on the Past, Focus on the Present, Visions for the Future, 21-NOV-06 - 22-NOV-06, Waterford College of Further Education, 38 - 39
- O'Higgins-Norman, J., McNamara, G., Evaluating Relationships and Sexuality Education in Ireland: The Case of Gay and Lesbian Issues, World Curriculum Studies Conference, 21-MAY-06 - 24-MAY-06, Tampere, Finland, 65 - 65
- O'Higgins-Norman, J., O'Hara, J., "You Can't Tell Me What To Do, I Know My Rights" Student Behaviour in Second-Level Schools., DCU Faculty of Humanities & Social Sciences Conference, 11-MAY-06 - 12-MAY-06, Dublin City University
- O'Higgins-Norman, J., McNamara, G., Feel The Fear and Do It Anyway: Identifying The Need for Sexuality Education in Irish Second-Level Schools, Association for Moral Education 31st Annual Conference, 03-NOV-05 - 05-NOV-05, Harvard University Cambridge Massachusetts
- O'Higgins-Norman, J., Galvin, M., Homophobia in Schools: Implications for the Role and Identity of the Teacher, European Conference on Education Research, 08-SEP-05 - 10-SEP-05, European Educational Research Association,Dublin
- O'Higgins-Norman, J., Identifying the Gaps in HIV/AIDS Education in Irish Second-Level Schools, In: Van Leeuwen, Astrid ed.AIDS Mobility EU Conference, 16-JUN-05 - 18-JUN-05, Dublin City University Dublin, 16 - 23
- O'Higgins-Norman, J., The Place of Pastoral Care in Catholic Schools, Scottish Catholic Education Service Annual Conference, 16-JUN-04 - 16-JUN-04, Gillis College,Edinburgh
- O'Higgins-Norman,J., Developing a Professional Approach to Pastoral Care in Hospitals , National Healthcare Chaplains Association Annual Conference, 30-APR-03 - 30-APR-03, N.A.H.C. Dublin
- O'Higgins-Norman, J., Pastoral Care in Schools: Professional or Presumed?, In: Monahan, L. Prendergast, N. ed.Re-imagining the Catholic School, 06-MAR-02 - 06-MAR-02, Marino Institute of Education, Dublin, 118 - 127
- O'Higgins-Norman, J., Promoting Educational Equality: The Contribution of Pastoral Care, Educational Studies Association of Ireland Annual Conference, 05-APR-01 - 06-APR-01, Mary Immaculate College, University of Limerick