Law & Government
Dr Olivia Smith
|Name:||Dr Olivia Smith|
|Department:||Law & Government|
Olivia Smith is a graduate of University College Cork (BCL; LL.M) and the University of Edinburgh (PhD). She previously held lectureships at the School of Law, University of Liverpool and at the Faculty of Law, University College Cork before coming to lecture at DCU in 2006. She has been a visiting scholar at Cornell University Law School (August - December 2002) and at Emory University Law School (April 2006). Olivia is a Board member of the Ballymun Community Law Centre and coordinates (with Frank Murphy) the DCU/BCLC Student Mentoring Project. Olivia is part of the global affiliated faculty on the Vulnerability and Human Condition Project at Emory University - http://web.gs.emory.edu/vulnerability/
Discrimination Law, in particular disability and gender discrimination; inequality and social exclusion, caring and the law.
Selected Peer Reviewed Journals
- Olivia Smith. 2012. "How Far From a "Right to Care"? Reconciling care work and labour market work in Ireland". Irish Jurist, 47,
- Olivia Smith. 2009. " A Pandisability Analysis? The Possibilities and Pitfalls of Indirect Disability Discrimination". Northern Ireland Legal Quarterly, 60, 3, pp361-380.
- Olivia Smith. 2008. "Side Stepping Equality? Disability Discrimination and 'General and Accepted' Qualifications". Dublin University Law Journal, 30, , pp279-297.
- Olivia Smith. 2007. " 'Comparable Workers' and the Part-Time Workers Regulations". Feminist Legal Studies, 15, , pp85-98.
- Olivia Smith. 2005. Ireland's Multiple Ground Equality Framework: Extending the Limitations. International Journal Of Discrimination And The Law, 8, , pp7-31.
- Olivia Smith. 2001. Disability, Discrimination and Employment: A Never ending Legal Story. Dublin University Law Journal, 23, , pp148-174.
- Olivia Smith. 2000. Legislating Against Low Pay: The National Minimum Wage Act 2000: Part I. Irish Law Times, , pp222-228.
- Olivia Smith. 2000. Legislating Against Low Pay: The National Minimum Wage Act 2000: Part II. Irish Law Times, , pp234-237.
- Olivia Smith. Disability Discrimination Law, Thomson Round Hall, 2010.
- Olivia Smith. 2012. The CRPD and Genuine Occupational Requirement in Employment. The UN Convention on the Rights of persons with Disabilities: Comparative, Regional and Thematic Perspectives, Intersentia
- Olivia Smith. 2011. Reconciling care-giving and work in Ireland: the contribution of protection against family status discrimination. Families Care-Giving and Paid Work: Challenging Labour Law in the 21st Century, pp153-170., Edward Elgar Publishing
- Olivia Smith. 2001. Ireland's Legal and Extra Legal Responses to the EC's Recommendation and Code of Practice on Protecting the Dignity of Women and Men at Work. Comparing Law in Europe on the Dignity of Women and Men, pp45-111., University Fernando Pessoa
- Olivia Smith. 2000. Making Women Count in Ireland. Making Women Count: Integrating Gender into Law and Policy Making, pp23-47., Ashgate
Selected Non-peer Reviewed Journals
- Olivia Smith. 1999. Legal Developments in Equality. Higher Education Equality Unit Newsletter, 8, pp14-.
- Olivia Smith. 1998. Gender Auditing. Equality News, 14, pp3-.
- Olivia Smith, Educating Disability Rights, EDS Seminar, Waterford, - , Waterford
- Olivia Smith, The Invisibility of Older Women's Experiences of Inequality in Ireland, International Women's Day Seminar, BCLC, 05-MAR-11 - ,
- Olivia Smith, The Invisibility of Older Women¿s Experiences of Inequality in Irish Discrimination Law, Ageing as a Feminist Concern, 10-JAN-11 - , Emory University School of Law, Emory University, Atlanta
- Olivia Smith, "Disability Required? The Implications of the Genuine Occupational Requirement in Disability Discrimination Law", International and Comparative Perspectives on Employment and Disability Law in Europe, 24-APR-10 - , Centre for Disability Law and Policy, NUI Galway
- Smith, O, Reconstructing Disability Through Law: The Role of the Equality Tribunal in Ireland, Feminist Disability Theories and The Law, 11-DEC-09 - 12-DEC-09, Emory University School of Law, Atlanta
- Smith, O, Indirect Disability Discrimination, School of Law, University of Exeter, Seminar Series, 05-NOV-09 - , University of Exeter
- Smith, O., Protection Against Discrimination on the Grounds of Family Status: What Does it Add?, Annual Socio-Legal Studies Conference, 08-APR-09 - , Leicester, UK
- Olivia Smith, Talking About Disability Rights, Enhancing Disability Services, 10-OCT-07 - , Waterford
- Smith, O, Side-Stepping Equality: Disability, The Leaving Certificate, the CivilService and the Status Quo, In: F. Hannon ed.Annual Conference of the National Disability Authority, 16-NOV-06 - , University College Dublin
- Smith, O., Equality at the Intersections:Challenging Notions of Identity and the Legal Subject Through Anti-Discrimination Law, Annual Conference of the Society of Young Solicitors in Ireland, 11-NOV-05 - , Cork
- Smith, O., Locating Disability Culture, Liverpool: A City of Culture(s): Multiculturalism Conference, 20-JUL-05 - , University of Liverpool, UK
- Smith, O., Challenging the Closed Class Concept of Disability under Disability Discrimination Legislation, Socio-Legal Scholars Association Annual Conference 2005, 31-MAR-05 - 02-APR-05, University of Liverpool, UK
- Smith, O., Extending the Limitations? Ireland's Multiple Ground Equality Legislation, In: A.E.Morris and H.E. Baker. ed.Symposium Edition Conference of the International Journal of Discrimination and the Law on Constitutionalising Equality, 12-NOV-04 - , University of Liverpool, UK
- Smith, O., The Irish Supreme Court as Aggressor: Property versus Equality in the Irish Constitution, Gender, Sexuality and Family Program, Seminar Series, Cornell Law School, 08-OCT-02 - , Cornell Law School, Ithaca, New York, USA
- Smith, O., The Employment Equality Act 1998: A Critical Overview, No Title - Invited Lecture, 25-APR-00 - , Tallaght Institute of Technology
- Smith, O., Disability and the Employment Equality Act 1998, The Introduction of the New Employment Equality Legal Framework, 11-NOV-99 - , Cork
- Smith, O, Equality Proofing, FAS Seminar on Mainstreaming Equality, 15-JAN-99 - , Dublin
- Smith, O. and Mullally, S., Gender Proofing the Structural Funds: Outline Guidelines, Invited Presentation, 08-JAN-99 - , Department of Justice, Equality and Law Reform, Dublin
- Smith, O. and Stephen, K., Predicting the Impact of Policy: Devising a Gender Impact Assessment Model, Equality in Education: Challenges and Opportunities, 16-NOV-98 - 17-NOV-98, University College Cork