Current Academic Year 2014 - 2015
Please note that this information is subject to change.
To introduce students to curriculum theory and to demonstrate its impact on current educational provision in IrelandTo describe and place in the context of current curriculum thought the main issues to be considered indeveloping, implementing and evaluating programmes of instruction.To explore recent international initiatives in school and subject evaluation from the perspective of evaluation theoryTo introduce students to the current Irish school evaluation programme paying particular attention to history, structure, policy directions and stakeholder engagementTo provide students with an opportunity to explore the potential role to be played by self evaluation in their emerging educational practiceTo examine the potential role of ICT in the development of a self evaluation approach to professional development|
1. Demonstrate the capacity to plan collaboratively in the curriculum field|
2. Describe and place in the context of current curriculum thought the main issues to be considered indeveloping, implementing and evaluating programmes of instruction.
3. Explain the traditions of curriculum thought and outline current issues incurriculum theory
4. Explain the theoretical origins and practical implications of school evaluation systems
5. Explain the structure and operation of the Department of Education and Skills Evaluation programme for Irish schools
6. Demonstrate a general knowledge of the Codes of Professional Conduct for Teachers by providing specific examples of their application in their professional practice
7. Demonstrate an ability to apply the Code of Professional Conduct " The Teacher and The Curriculum" in their professional practice by providing specific examples of the application of each of the seven sub-sections of the code in their professional practice
8. Design, implement and evaluate a self evaluation programme in the course of their school placement
9. Develop the necessary skills and competences to engage in lifelong reflective learning
All module information is indicative and subject to change. For further information,students are advised to refer to the University's Marks and Standards and Programme Specific Regulations at: http://www.dcu.ie/registry/examinations/index.shtml
|Indicative Content and Learning Activities|
CURRICULUM DEVELOPMENT CURRICULUM THEORY Traditions of curriculum thought; current issues incurriculum theory; perspectives (historical, sociological, political, psychological) on curriculum; a personalphilosophy of curriculumISSUES IN CURRICULUM DESIGN Curriculum aims and objectives; priorities andresources in curriculum design; curriculum organisation and structure; curriculum design and needsanalysis; integration and the structures of disciplines.
EvaluationIntroduction to evaluation theoryExploration of recent international initiatives in school and subject evaluation from the perspective of evaluation theoryEvaluation in the island of Ireland - comparisons and contrastsEvaluation in Irish SchoolsHistory of evaluation in Irish SchoolsComparison of international evaluation systemsTheoretical origins and structure of current Irish programme for school evaluation (WSE)Emerging systems of evaluation in Irish schoolsCycle of Evaluation - School Planning, Curriculum Implementation, Evaluation.
Exploration of theoretical underpinnings of self evaluation movementExamining the role of stakeholder groups in the process of self-evaluation - parents, policy makes (Department of Education and Skills, Inspectorate), Management Bodies (Patronage Groups,Boards of Management etc)Design and implementation of a range of self evaluation instruments in a school settingEngagement in online debate and discussion about the potential role of self evaluation as a mechanism for professional development and school improvement and life-long learning.
|Indicative Reading List|
|6361, Website, Inspectorate, 2012, Self-Evaluation Resources, http://www.schoolself-evaluation.ie/post-primary/, 6527, Website, OFSTED, 0, http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/, 6528, Website, Education and Training Northern Ireland, 0, http://www.etini.gov.uk/,|
|Programme or List of Programmes|
|BSSAO||Study Abroad (DCU Business School)|
|ECSAO||Study Abroad (Engineering & Computing)|
|HMSA||Study Abroad (Humanities & Soc Science)|
|HMSAO||Study Abroad (Humanities & Soc Science)|
|PEB||B.Sc Physical Education and Biology|
|SE||BSc Science Education|
|SHSAO||Study Abroad (Science & Health)|
|Timetable this semester: Timetable for ES303|
|Date of Last Revision||21-MAR-06|