DCU Access to the Workplace 2021
Applications for the 2021 DCU Access to the Workplace Programme are now open. Click here to apply.
DCU Access to the Workplace is a new initiative introduced in 2019. DCU Access Service and DCU Educational Trust have partnered to provide Access students with a high-quality, fully paid professional internship in some of Ireland’s leading companies during the summer months. Further information is included in our Student Information Booklet.
Due to Covid-19, 2021 summer internships (June - August 2021) will be either virtual or a mix of virtual and working from the employer's premises.
Successful applicants will also participate in a mandatory Work Readiness Programme in February and March 2021, to help prepare them for the 21st century workplace, especially a virtual workplace.
The deadline for applying to DCU Access to the Workplace is Friday 29 January 2021. Click here to apply.
Whilst internships and work placements are a common component of many third level degrees today, DCU Access Service and DCU Educational Trust identified an additional need for Access students who, due to financial pressure to save for the upcoming academic year, were unable to undertake unpaid internships to gain valuable professional experience. Similarly, due to more limited professional networks, they were less likely to secure paid, high-quality internships relevant to their degree.
As a result, in 2019 DCU Access Service and DCU Educational Trust launched the Access to the Workplace Programme to enable DCU Access students to gain high-quality summer employment in established workplaces and to generate a modest income during their summer break.
Since its introductory year, 58 leading Irish companies have supported 64 Access students by providing them with a professional internship during the summer, whilst also making a philanthropic contribution to support Access scholarships at DCU.
DCU Access to the Workplace is funded by Rethink Ireland for a three year period.
Second year undergraduate Access students are eligible to apply. In some instances, first year students who have INTRA as an integrated element in their second year of study can also participate in the programme. Please note that students who commence their INTRA placement at the end of second year are not eligible to apply.
- An opportunity to earn and learn. You will complete a fully paid, professional internship for a minimum of 4 weeks to a maximum of 12 weeks
- Opportunity to participate in a programme that will equip you with the skills and knowledge necessary to fully participate and engage in a professional work environment
- Gain an understanding of a particular job or industry and will allow you to consider roles you may not have previously thought of
- Helps you understand how organisations operate and the challenges they face
- Provide you with networking opportunities
- Participate in a tailored Work Readiness Programme that will help you create a professional CV and cover letter, develop you interview skills and gain new skills and knowledge necessary for a work environment
- Exposure to industry led workshops and events hosted by some of Ireland’s leading Irish companies
- An opportunity to develop and apply your university learning in a real work setting and enhance your CV for INTRA and/or graduate roles
- 58 companies took part
- 64 students placed
- 558 weeks of internships
- 94% of students unable to achieve an equivalent internship alone
- 100% of students would recommend the programme to others
- 83% increased understanding of skills and qualities
- 72% of students reported increased motivation in relation to their degree and career
- 92% of students reported that the Work Readiness Programme helped them prepare a professional CV and prepare to undertake an interview
A&L Goodbody | AIG Europe ltd | Alkermes | Allergan plc | Allied Irish Banks plc | Alltech Bioscience Centre | Aon Ireland | Ark Life Assurance Company | B.C. McGettigan Limited | Bonnington Hotel | Britvic International and Ireland | BT Ireland | CAE Parc Aviation | Citrix | CityJet | Codex Office Solutions | Colgate Palmolive | Collen Construction | County Monaghan Fund | CRH plc | Deloitte | Dublin Airport Authority | eBay | Eirgrid | eShopWorld | Fenergo | Fidelity Investments Ireland | Fingal County Council | Fujitsu | Highfield Hospital Group | Irish Aviation Authority | Irish Distillers Pernod Richard | Irish Life Group | Jacobs Engineering | Jones Engineering | LIDL (Ireland) ltd | Marks and Spencer Ireland | Mayson Hayes & Curran | MasterCard Ireland | Matheson | Matthews Coaches Hire ltd | McGarrell Reilly Group | McKeon Group | Milliman | Mondelez Ireland ltd | MUFG Investor Services | National Recruitment Federation | National Standards Authority of Ireland | National Treasury Management Agency | Neogen | Oracle | Ornua Foods | Pigsback | PriceWaterhouseCoopers (PwC) | Siemens | State Street | Taoglas | Ulster Bank Ireland | Verzion | Vodafone Ireland | William Fry Solicitors | Willis Towers Watson | Zurich Europe/EMEA
Internships are available in the following sectors:
Business | Construction and Property | Engineering | Finance | IT and Technology | Law | Leisure, Travel and Tourism | Marketing and communications | Public Sector | Retail and Buying | Science (including pharmaceuticals)
Students who have participated in the programme previously, have had the following roles:
Data Analysist | Researcher | Assurance Intern | HR People Experience Intern | Tech Support Engineer | Actuarial Assistant | Communications Intern | Engineering Intern | Business Analyst and IT Intern