There are many reasons students consider further study, these can include:
- Specialise in a specific area
- It’s a requirement for you chosen profession
- You would like to convert to a new discipline
Before you decide on a course investigate all the available options and consider:
- What types of course are available (Masters, HDip etc)
- What kind of learning is offered? (Taught or reseatch? Part-time or full-time?)
- Is there distance learning or other flexible options available?
- Look at each course’s content and module descriptors
- What are the employability outcomes of the various programme
- How are students selected for your chosen course? (Application form, interview, assessments e.g GAMSATs)
- What are the total fees? And how will you fund the course? (Grants, loans, self-fund)
- What are the application deadlines?
- Are there open evenings or other opportunities to meet faculty and alumni?
Useful resources when researching further study may include:
- The Admissions Office of the Registry in DCU provides all the information you will need about postgraduate programmes and applications in DCU including details of entry requirements and closing dates for applications
- Gradireland provide an excellent searchable database of postgraduate courses in all the main universities and colleges in Ireland
- PAC* is similar to the CAO but is exclusively for postgraduate applications at higher level education institutions. Check individual universities for application procedures.
- Qualifax can be an excellent ‘search engine’ for postgraduate study
- UCAS* is the UK’s HEI admission service.
* Note: not all colleges / universities use these services for postgraduate admissions
If you plan to study overseas, we recommend that you thoroughly research the region under consideration and check the travel advice about the country or region on the Department of Foreign Affairs website.
Careers Clinics Online
Do you have a quick career related question?
During the closure period, book to attend a Careers Clinic via Google Hangouts Meet!
Full details available on our Events Page.
Careers Quick Query and CV Clinics take place each week during semester. These clinics are open to all current undergraduate and postgraduate students.
Please ensure that you have a good draft copy of your CV or other documentation (eg. Applications, Personal Statements etc.) available for review.