B.Sc., Ph.D. (DCU)
Lecturer, Analytical Chemistry
Analytical Method Development
Our research is based on the use and development of a range of analytical techniques from separations to sensors.
Typical projects will include development of novel materials for extraction and enrichment of analytes and development of novel separation systems. The materials which we develop include novel materials based on molecular imprintingtechniques or development of co- and plasticised polymers for sensors. These materials are effective in matrix clean-up, enrichment and selective extraction of analytes.
The methods developed are applied to a range of applications from environmental (e.g. industrial waste streams, sewage treatment waste effluent and environmental waters ) to biological samples.
Current projects include:
- Development of chromo-ionophore-based optical sensors for metal ion determination.
- Development of smart materials for use in infrared optical sensing systems for industrial solvents in waste streams.
- Development of molecularly imprinted polymers (MIPs) for analyte enrichment and extraction.
- Development of extraction / enrichment / separation methods for the determination of endocrine disrupting chemicals e.g. oestrogens and alkylphenols
- Development of extraction / enrichment / separation methods for the determination of chemotherapeutic agents
- Development of capillary electrophoretic methods for a variety of applications
- Optical sensing systems for environmental analysis including applications in the marine environment
- Determination of trace elements in foodstuff and development of novel therapeutic agents based on these
Interested students and post doctoral researchers are advised to arrange a visit to discuss potential research projects.
- Regan, F. B., Meaney, M. P., and Lunte, S. M., Determination of metal ions by capillary electrophoresis using on-column complexation with 4-(2-pyridylazo)resorcinol following trace enrichment by peak stacking, J. Chromatogr., 657 (1994) 409-417.
- Walsh, J. E., MacCraith, B. D., Regan, F., Vos, J. G., Meaney, M., Lancia, A. and Artjushenko, S., Mid-infrared fibre sensor for the in-situ detection of chlorinated hydrocarbons, Proc. SPIE, 2508 (1995) 233.
- Walsh, J. E., MacCraith, B. D., Regan, F., Vos, J. G. and Meaney, M., Mid-infrared fibre sensor for the in-situ monitoring of chlorinated hydrocarbons, Proc. Sensors and their Applications VII, Ed., Augousti, A. T., 75-80, 1995.
- Walsh, J. E., MacCraith, B. D., Regan, F., Vos, J. G., Meaney, M., Lancia, A. and Artjushenko, S., Sensing of chlorinated hydrocarbons and pesticides in water using polymer coated mid-infrared optical fibres, Proc. Sensors and Signals III, Analyst, 121 (1996) 789-792.
- Regan, F., Meaney, M., Vos, J. G., MacCraith, D. D. and Walsh, J. E., Determination of Pesticides in Water using ATR-FTIR spectroscopy on PVC / Chloroparaffin Coatings, Anal. Chim. Acta, 334 (1996) 85-92.
- Regan, F., MacCraith, B. D., Walsh, O'Dwyer, K, J. E., Vos, J. G. and Meaney, M., Novel Teflon-coated optical fibres for TCE determination using FTIR spectroscopy, Vibrat. Spectros., (1997).
- B. Fogarty, F. Regan and E. Dempsey, Separation of two groups of oestrogen mimicking compounds using micellar electrokinetic chromatography. J. Chromatography A, 895 (2000) 237-246.
- R.S.Martin, A. J. Gawron, B. A. Fogarty, F. B. Regan, E. Dempsey and S. M. Lunte, Carbon paste-based electrochemical detectors for microchip capillary electrophoresis/electrochemistry. Analyst, 2001, 126, 277-280.
- F. Regan, A. Moran, B. Fogarty and E. Dempsey, Development of comparative methods using GC-MS and capillary electrophoresis for the determination of endocrine disrupting chemicals in bio-solids. J. Chromatogr. B., 2002, 770, 243-253.
- F. Regan, F. Walsh and J. Walsh, Development of plasticised PVC sensing films for the determination of BTEX compounds in aqueous samples. Intern. J. Environ. Anal. Chem., 83, 7-8, (2003) 621-631
- D. Leamy and F. Regan, A robust spin-coated optical sensing device for rapid determination of predominant metal ions in wastewater streams. Intern. J. Environ. Anal. Chem., 83, (2003) 867-877
- F. Regan, A. Moran, B. Fogarty and E. Dempsey, Novel modes of capillary electrophoresis for the determination of endocrine disrupting chemicals in the environment, J. Chromatography A, 1014 (2003) 141-152.
- B. Fogarty, E. Dempsey and F. Regan, Potential of micro emulsion electrokinetic chromatography for separation of priority endocrine disrupting compounds, J. Chromatogr. A. 1014 (2003) 129-139.