B.Sc.(Muenster), Ph.D. (Cologne)
Lecturer, Organic Chemistry
Sorry - no record
Synthetic organic and "green" chemistry
Recently, the call for "sustainable developments", reduction of CO2-emission and environmentally friendly technologies has led to an increasing interest in Green Chemistry. Photochemistry can serve as a valuable green chemical application since light is regarded as a clean reagent. However, despite obvious advantages in terms of selectivity and sustainability, the photochemical production of chemicals on industrial scales remains rare. To overcome this neglect, we are studying selected photochemical reactions with moderately concentrated sunlight. Furthermore, we are investigating photochemical transformations for the construction of complex heterocycles which may be useful as future pharmaceuticals or agrochemicals. Current research projects include:
- Solar chemical production of versatile fine chemicals with sunlight [1,4].
- Photochemical cyclization reactions of amino acids and (poly)peptides [2, 3, 5].
- Photochemical alternatives to existing thermal reactions (Grignard, Friedel-Crafts, Jones reactions etc.) [1-5].
- M. Oelgemöller, J. Mattay "The Photo-Friedel-Crafts Acylation of Quinones - From the Beginnings of organic Photochemistry to modern solarchemical Applications" Handbook of Organic Photochemistry and Photobiology, 2. edition, W. M. Horspool, F. Lenci (Eds.), CRC Press, Boca Raton 2004, Chapter 88, 1-45.
- A. G. Griesbeck, N. Maptue, S. Bondock, M. Oelgemöller "The excimer radiation system: a powerful tool for preparative organic photochemistry. A technical note" Photochem. Photobiol. Sci., 2003, 2, 450-451.
- A. G. Griesbeck, T. Heinrich, M. Oelgemöller, A. Molis, J. Lex "A Photochemical Route for Efficient Cyclopeptide Formation with a Minimum of Protection/Activation Chemistry" J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2002, 124, 10972-10973.
- C. Schiel, M. Oelgemöller, J. Ortner, J. Mattay "Green Photochemistry: The solarchemical Photo-Friedel-Crafts Acylation of Quinones" Green Chem. 2001, 3, 224-228.
- A. G. Griesbeck, W. Kramer, M. Oelgemöller "Synthetic Applications of Photoinduced Electron Transfer Decarboxylation Reactions" Synlett 1999, 1169-1178.