MSc in Aviation Leadership
Click here for information on our next Live Webinar for this programme.
The MSc in Aviation Leadership is a specialist postgraduate programme designed to provide participants with aviation knowledge in all key aviation sectors combined with an education in strategic management.
The teaching faculty possess academic expertise and a wealth of industry experience, with many having backgrounds across all branches of the industry - airlines, airports, ATC and regulatory offices.
The programme’s Guest Lecture series exposes students to leading aviation managers’ views of the important current issues in aviation and the challenges facing senior aviation managers. The content of the course is guided by our Aviation Industry Advisory Board and reflects current & future issues and trends in the global aviation industry.
The objectives of the programme are to provide graduates with:
- An understanding of the complex coordination needed of the various components of airport operations
- The important leadership and management competencies required to plan and execute an aviation industry strategy
- An understanding of the characteristics, the requirements and the legal aspects of aviation organisations
- The skills needed to undertake business analysis and strategic thinking
- The ability to lead and initiate professional and research activity independently or as part of an aviation management team
- An ability to take a leading role in the future development of the global aviation industry
Modules taught in this course include:
- Aviation Policy and Regulation
- Leadership for Aviation Managers
- Airport Operations Management
- Airline Management
- Leadership and Change
- Digitalisation of Aviation Operations and Business Analytics
- Sustainable Aviation and Innovative Practices
- Strategy Organisation and Innovation
- Research Methods plus dissertation
Click here to view information from our graduates & programme news
View the current course structure
- Dublin City University is a comparatively young but ambitious institution that has forged a reputation as Ireland's University of Enterprise, through its strong, active links with academic, its research and its industry partnerships at home and overseas.
- Our solid industry relationships have allowed us to instil an enterprising culture into our postgraduate courses which has resulted in DCU Business School’s reputation as being Ireland’s most innovative business school.
- We provide a unique learning environment where students are encouraged to develop their creativity and skills as innovators.
- The quality of our teaching, our small class sizes, our high levels of industry engagement make us stand out, and have been recognized by AACSB, the oldest and most prestigious global accrediting body for business schools.
- DCU graduates are highly sought after in the job market, with many going on to pursue management roles in organisations both at home and abroad.
With the ever increasing emphasis on delivering excellence in aviation, there will be important roles for talented and qualified individuals. The aviation industry is expanding in Ireland and internationally. Students of the programme have been drawn from management and senior management mainly in the aviation industry and will be seeking to accelerate their careers after graduation.
Many of our graduates have seen a remarkable elevation in their career after the completion of this programme. Our alumni network enhances our existing industry connections providing employability connections to our DCU MSc Aviation Leadership community. Our alumni have taken up employment in a variety of positions, for instance:
- Airlines (e.g. Aer Lingus, Ryan Air, City Jet, Stobart Air, British Airways, American Airlines, Norwegian);
- Aerospace Manufacturers (e.g. Airbus);
- Airport Operators (e.g. Dublin Airport, Shannon Airport, Omani Airports);
- Aircraft maintenance (e.g. Dublin Airspace, Ryanair, Aer Lingus);
- Consultancy firms;
- Safety & Security;
- Air Navigation Service Providers (e.g. Irish Aviation Authority)
For admission to the M.Sc. in Aviation Leadership candidates must hold –
- A 2.1 Honours degree in a relevant discipline, or equivalent international qualification. Along with 3 years of work experience in the aviation industry.
- An equivalent professional qualification (ATCO, CPL) along with 3 years of work experience in the aviation industry.
- Applicants with more than 5 years relevant work experience in the aviation industry may be considered.
- Recent graduates with less than 3 years relevant work experience in the aviation industry, or with work experience in a different industry, who have the equivalent of a first class Honours degree may be considered.
- International candidates who are non-native speakers of English must satisfy the University of their competency in the English language. More information about English language requirements for DCU Business School can be found here.