Equal Status Act
Legislation and Policies
Equal Status Acts 2000 and 2004
- The Equal Status Act 2000 came into force on the 25th October 2000.
- It was amended by the Equality Act 2004 on the 19th July 2004.
- The Acts relate to discrimination based on the following 9 grounds: Gender, Civil Status, Family Status, Age, Race, Religion, Disability, Sexual Orientation, Membership of the Traveller community.
- The Acts apply to people who:
- Buy and sell a wide variety of goods,
- Use or provide a wide range of services,
- Obtain or dispose of accommodation,
- Attend at, or are in charge of, educational establishments,
- There are separate provisions on discriminatory clubs.
- However all complaints must relate to at least one of the 9 discriminatory grounds listed in the previous point.