Impotence is the inability to sustain an erection sufficient for sexual intercourse. This is also known as erectile dysfunction. This can affect one in ten men aged 18 years and over. Incidence of impotence can increase with age.
Impotence has physical and psychological causes;
Some physical causes:
- Side effects of drugs
- Hormonal abnormalities
- Damage to nerves in the penis as a result of accidents
- High Blood Pressures
- Arthroscleroses (Hardening of the arteries)
- Anxiety about sexual performance
- Relationship problems
- It is important to have a healthy lifestyle. This involves:
- Eating a healthy diet,
- Regular exercise
- Stop smoking
- Do not drink alcohol in excess.
- To manage stress levels.
If you have any worries in relation to this problem, please seek help from your GP/ Student Health centre or there are various male health clinics. It is a very distressing problem and today there is a list of treatments available to overcome this condition.