Policies and Procedures
Please access DCU's Staff Sick Leave policy.
1. After how many days absence from work is a medical cert required?
A medical certificate is required on the third day of an absence.
2. How many days uncertified sick leave can be taken in a year?
Up to a maximum of 7 days uncertified sick leave is permitted over a 24-month period counting backwards from the latest absence.
3. When I am on sick leave in excess of 6 days what do I need to do to ensure I receive the correct sick pay from the university?
The University will automatically deduct Social Welfare/Disability Benefit if you are on an A1 PRSI rate and on sick leave in excess of 6 days. It is important, therefore, to submit a copy of "Disability Benefit - Your weekly rate - IB8 Form" to the Payroll Office, DCU. The IB8 Form is given to you by the Department of Social Protection when your disability/illness claim has been sanctioned.
4. Is my Illness Benefit taxable?
Illness Benefit is considered to be income for tax purposes and it is taxable from the first day of payment. It is paid directly to you by Social Welfare without any deduction of income tax. The University, therefore, is required to make any necessary tax deductions in respect of paid Illness Benefit.
- 2014: New Arrangements for Sick Leave - Letter from Tom Boland Chief Executive HEA.
- 2014: Communication re Sick Leave from Dept. of Education and Skills.
- Department of Public Expenditure and Reform Guide to Sick Leave Regulations
- Sick leave arrangements - a Communication to all public service bodies
- Statutory Instruments S.I. No. 124 of 2014 PUBLIC SERVICE MANAGEMENT (SICK LEAVE) REGULATIONS 2014