ISS Guiding Principles
10 principles guide our work process
One ISS Department.
- We work as one ISS department - We are flexible and we do whatever it takes to deliver for ISS on behalf of customers andwe will collaborate with and work in partnership with others internally and externally to deliver for the community.
- We design and build for reliability - service continuity is critical to this university and also makes services easier to maintain. We make changes in a manner which ensures there are no surprises for anyone.
- We deliver services for mobility - in a consistent manner which allows our customers to consume them regardless of location, time or device choice. In most cases this means “browser based” is our delivery mechanism of choice.
Work with our Customers.
- We will endeavour to work with our customers to ensure a common understanding of what is reasonably achievable and deliverable within the context of our services, resources and budgets.
Decisive and Innovative.
- We are decisive and innovative - we are prepared to learn - we make informed decisions and we stick to them unless the facts change. We do not prevaricate and welcome discussion on our decisions.
- We empower each other - we ensure everyone gets credit for their contribution - we require our staff to develop and build their skills, experience, profile and career. We will also empower our customers through our tools, support and advice.
- We reduce complexity and simplify processes - IT is a “service” for our customers and needs to be as simple as possible to use and support. We actively seek feedback from our customers on how to improve.
- We do what adds value well, we eliminate unnecessary work and really prioritise projects and activities that add value and are in our strategy (80/20 rule).
Standardised Systems and Processes.
- We serve the majority with standardised systems and processes avoiding unnecessary cost and suboptimal use of resources. We prioritise the use of “off the shelf” solutions where possible and we routinely retire and update legacy systems.
- We provide appropriate, sensible security for our information assets, balancing the need for access and usability with the need for protection.