Video Conferencing Room
The Video Conferencing facility is available in seminar room, 4th floor, Invent Building.
The system comprises of a Polycom HDX 7000 HD , 52" plasma screens and document camera.
The IP address of the Video Conferencing unit is 18.104.22.168
You will need this information when making a booking through http://www.eyenetwork.com, PO's for the booking should be made to EyeNetwork in Agresso.
NB. When selecting the other location for a video conference please ensure that it is IP enabled and use Polycom equipment where possible. It is not possible to link to ISDN units.
To enquire about booking this room, please contact Invent Reception on ext. 7777
- Switch on TV (#1 on image)
- if it is not on the right channel after you switch the device, press (#2 on image), set it up to EXT3
- Swtich on device (#1 on image)
- The camera should automaticaly be directed toward the table,if not, press (#2 on image), then adjust the camera direction (#3 on image)
- if the other side is calling in, you do need need to do anything
- if you are calling, type their IP adress, (the dot buttom #4 on image), then press dial (#6 on image)
- delete number is button #5 on image
- when you finish press #7 on image
- 15 mins before meeting time is recommended to make sure everything is working
- make sure that the mic is not muted
Note: need help on site? Phone the ISS Servicedesk ext: 5007
Get started with Hangouts
You can use Hangouts to start a chat conversation or video call
Hangouts sync automatically across devices. If you start a Hangout on your computer, you can continue your chat on another device, like your phone.
Watch how Hangouts works
What you need to use Hangouts
- A Google Account.
- A computer or phone with a camera and microphone. Learn how to use your camera and microphone when you start a video call for the first time.
- An internet or data connection.
System and browser requirements
Operating systems that work with Hangouts
Hangouts works with the current version and 2 previous major releases of the operating systems listed below.
- Mac OS X
- Ubuntu and other Debian-based Linux distributions
Web browsers that work with Hangouts
Hangouts works with the current version and 1 previous major release of the browsers listed below.
- Google Chrome: Download
- Microsoft Internet Explorer (IE): Download
- Safari: Download
On Internet Explorer, and Safari, download and install the latest version of the Hangouts plugin.
Currently, some versions of Firefox can't be used to make video calls. Learn why and how you can continue to make video calls.
What you need to make video calls
- Broadband connection to the Internet.
- USB web camera. Other devices, like virtual cameras, may not work.
- Any quad core processor.
How much bandwidth you need
Minimum bandwidth required
- Outbound: 300 kbps
- Inbound: 300 kbps
Ideal bandwidth for two-person video calls
- Outbound: 3.2 mbps
- Inbound: 2.6 mbps
Ideal bandwidth for group video calls
- Outbound: 3.2 mbps
- Inbound (with 5 participants): 3.2 mbps
- Inbound (with 10+ participants): 4.0 mbps
Hangouts can be used in
- Inbox by Gmail
- Hangouts Chrome extension
Download and sign in to Hangouts - Android phone or tablet
- On your Android phone or tablet, download the Hangouts app
- To call someone’s phone number using the Hangouts app, download the Hangouts Dialer.
Use accessibility features
Learn how to use Android accessibility features on Hangouts, like how to make phone calls.
Download and sign in to Hangouts - iPhone & iPad
Note: Hangouts works with Apple's mobile operating system version 8.0 and up.
Comparison of Video Conference Suites
The following is a comparison of the various video conferencing tools available to DCU staff.
|Adobe Connect||Google Hangouts/Video||Vidyo||Video Conference Unit (Invent)|
|Adobe Connect||Google Hangouts||Vidyo||Video Conference Room|
|Price||€88.50 one-off fee
(payable by internal transfer to TEU)
|Free - core DCU Apps service||Free
(22 DCU host licenses)
|Cost dependent on territory and duration of call|
|Max. Participants||50||15||72||Usually 1-to-1 conference unit connections|
|Real-time Screen Sharing||Laptop can be connected|
|Connect to Video Conference Units?||?|
||Connections setup by 3rd party http://www.eyenetwork.com|
Secure peer-to-peer connection
|Solution||Adobe Connect||Google Hangouts/Video||Vidyo||Video Conference Unit (Invent)|
|Cons||Presenter license cost||Limited to 15 participants||
|Who can use?||DCU Lecturers (via Loop.dcu.ie) DCU staff (paid user license)||DCU Staff/Students||DCU Staff (limited to 22 host accounts)||DCU Staff|
|When to use?||
|How do I get a host account?||Contact Mark Glynn in TEU||Core DCU Apps (hangouts/video)||Log request with ISS||N/A|
|FAQ's||Adobe Connect||Google Hangouts||Vidyo||Video Conferencing Unit|
For any questions not covered above contact the ISS Service Desk