DCU Apps Home Page
DCU Apps is DCU's installation of Google Apps for Education is a suite of online software applications that Google offers to educational institutions and non-profit organisations free of charge offering excellent benefits.FAQs for Google Apps users
DCU Apps Email is Google's web-based email application. It has a lot of great features you won't find in other email applications. The best way to start working with DCU Apps Email is to become familiar with some of its features. For more information see the tutorials below and visit our training page.
- Keep Your Email Address: Have an address from the old DCU mail system? You keep it.
- Offline Support: Write messages without an internet connection. The next time you connect it will be sent.
- Inbox Management: Manage your email using labels and filters to organise.
- Powerful Search: By searching across all your emails you can find exactly what you're looking for.
- Works with DCU Apps Calendar: Add events straight to calendar from your email.
- Spam Filtering: No more spam with Googles cutting edge filtering.
These are the documents, spreadsheets, and presentation sizes you can store in Google Drive.
- Documents: Up to 1.02 million characters. If you convert a text document to Google Docs format, it can be up to 50 MB.
- Spreadsheets: Up to 2 million cells for spreadsheets that are created in or converted to Google Sheets.
- Presentations: Up to 100 MB for presentations converted to Google Slides.
- All other files: Up to 5 TB.
- After you've uploaded 750 GB in 1 day, you'll be blocked from uploading additional files that day.
File Stream & Back Up and Sync
Google have replaced Google Drive, their online file storage system in the same mold as Dropbox with Google Drive File Stream for business users and Backup and Sync for personal/home users.
Drive File Stream is a new way to access all of your DCU Google Drive files, including Team Drives, directly from your Mac or PC, without taking up space on your hard drive.
Drive File Stream doesn’t require you to download your files first in order to access them from your computer. Instead, when you need to view or edit a file, it automatically streams from the cloud, on-demand.
Staff should be aware that this storage facility is part of DCU Apps and should not be used to store personal data, images etc.
Drive File Stream enables:
- Access, search and manage files on-demand from your computer in seconds.
- Get just the files you need and make certain files available for offline use later.
- Access your work even quicker, as your most-used files become available in the background intelligently.
- Enables the user to stream My Drive and Team Drive files directly from the cloud, which in turn:
- Frees up disk space and network bandwidth.
- Decreases sync time.
- Minimises the amount of DCU data stored on users’ hard drives.
DCU Drive File Stream Features
- Upload Files for Storage: Receive unlimited free storage with DCU Apps.
- Share Files: Share files with friends and co-workers easily with DCU Apps Drive.
- Google Docs: When using Drive via your web browser you will have access to the Google Docs suite.
Compare sync solutions
|Feature||Drive File Stream||Backup and Sync|
|Access files in My Drive||✔||✔|
|Access files in Team Drives||✔||✘|
|Stream files on demand||✔||✘|
|Sync only selected folders in My Drive||✔||✔|
|Use native applications like MS Word and Photoshop||✔||✔|
|Sync other folders, such as Documents or Desktop||✘||✔|