DCU Apps Home Page
DCU Apps is DCU's installation of Google Apps for Education is a suite of online software applications that Google offers to educational institutions and non-profit organisations free of charge offering excellent benefits.FAQs for Google Apps users
DCU Apps Email is Google's web-based email application. It has a lot of great features you won't find in other email applications. The best way to start working with DCU Apps Email is to become familiar with some of its features. For more information see the tutorials below and visit our training page.
- Keep Your Email Address: Have an address from the old DCU mail system? You keep it.
- Offline Support: Write messages without an internet connection. The next time you connect it will be sent.
- Inbox Management: Manage your email using labels and filters to organise.
- Powerful Search: By searching across all your emails you can find exactly what you're looking for.
- Works with DCU Apps Calendar: Add events straight to calendar from your email.
- Spam Filtering: No more spam with Googles cutting edge filtering.
Drive is an online file storage system in the same mold as Dropbox. For the best experience with Google Drive we recommend you download the Google Drive Application for your personal computer or install it to your DCU machine using ZENworks. You can upload or sync your local files to a server and have an online back-up available to you from any device. For more information on this service click here
- Upload Files for Storage: Receive unlimited free storage with DCU Apps.
- Share Files: Share files with friends and co-workers easily with DCU Apps Drive.
- Google Docs: When using Drive via your web browser you will have access to the Google Docs suite.
- For Personal Computers: Follow this link to the Google Drive website for installation and instructions.
- For DCU Device: Follow the simple ZENworks instructions to install it on your machine.
- For Browser Use: We highly recommend you use the Google Chrome web browser to get the most out of Drive.
- Work Together: Accomplish more and edit files with somebody else in real time. Even if you're half a world away.
- Create & Edit: Create brand new documents, presentations or spreadsheets through Drive or edit an existing file.
- Quality Software: Drive offers you everything you would expect from a traditional software.
- Standard Format: Drive creates documents in popular formats, such as ".doc" and ".pdf".
- Ease of Use: The Drive interface is designed by experts to make it as intuitive as possible.
- Simply Send: With DCU Apps integration, simply attach a Drive file to an email to send it.
Organising your schedule shouldn't be a burden. With DCU Apps Calendar, it's easy to keep track of life's important events all in one place. For more information on DCU Apps Calendar visit here.
- Share Your Schedule: Share your calendar with others and view schedules that others have shared with you.
- Get Your Calendar On The Go: Access your Calendar on your smart phone.
- Inbox Management: Manage your email using labels and filters to organise.
- Never Forget Another Event Again: Customisable reminders help you stay on schedule.
- Send Invitations and Track RSVPs: Invite other people to events on your calendar.
- Work Offline: Know where you're supposed to be even when you don't have internet access.
Training for Google Apps
Training for Google Apps is a Chrome extension that offers simple and interactive training lessons to get you up and running fast with Google Apps. After adding to Chrome, refresh your Gmail, Calendar, Drive, Docs, Sheets, Slides, Sites, Forms, Google+, Classroom, and Admin Console tabs to access the Training menu. The Chrome app can be downloaded from the ChromeStore
- Interactive training - Whether you’re in Gmail, Calendar, Sheets, Slides, or Docs, you can learn and take actions, all at the same time.
- In-App experience - Training is accessible directly within Google Apps so you don’t need to leave the application to learn how to use it.
- Available to all - Whether it’s to master Google Classroom, or the Google Docs, Training for Google Apps is free for Everyone.
To access these apps and extensions all you have to do is sign in to Google Chrome, which is DCU's recommended web browser. To sign in to Chrome, just follow the simple instructions in this short video and you're ready to go!
There are many apps and extensions for Google Chrome that can help with studying and writing at university. ISS has selected six of the best and linked them to your DCU Student Apps account. The available apps and extensions are all outlined in greater detail here, and include the following:
- Grammarly: An advanced spelling and grammar check
- Blocksite: A web blocker to beat procrastination
- Diigo: A quick and simple web researching tool
- Simple Pomodoro: A timer to help get you working
- Mindmup: A tool for digital mind mapping
- Quizlet: An aid to help create amazing flashcards
Operational excellence is one of the foundations of the DCU Strategy 2012-2017. DCU Apps is a fantastic set of modern applications which is continually updated and upgraded helping DCU to keep pace in a fast changing IT world. These modern business tools will form an important part of the President's vision for a '21st Century Digital Campus' where state-of-the-art IT is part of the DCU fabric. Some benefits for DCU at a glance:
- Data Storage: Students and staff are provided unlimited Email and Drive storage (similar to Dropbox).
- Reliability: 99.9% monthly uptime percentage: Google Apps SLA.
- Common Platform: Staff and students of DCU (and the linked colleges) using one common set of applications.
- Web Based Access: All applications available from any web browser - no need to install additional software.
- Cost Savings: The services are provided by Google at no cost to educational institutions.
- Ease of Use: Google employs vast teams of usability experts who continually update and improve the products.
- Mobility: DCU Apps are easily configured and synchronised to all your mobile devices allowing 24 X 7 access.
What is Gmail?
Gmail is Google’s email program. Gmail provides more than 6 gigabytes of storage and contains features such as integrated chat, labels, filters, and search. If you are new to Gmail see one or more of Google's getting started guides below
Where do I log into my DCU Apps Gmail account?
You can login directly here http://login.mail.dcu.ie
Login with your DCU username (e.g. bloggsj5) and your DCU registration/network/moodle/portal password.
Who do I contact for support?
If you have a problem with your password or accessing your account the please contact the college for support - see our DCU Apps support page.
Links to help with use of the applications is also available from the support page.
I am very concerned about the security and privacy of my information hosted by Google?
These are very valid and common concerns for users of Google Apps.
Google have a number of resources available to address these issues.
What if I already have a personal Gmail account?
DCU Apps is a separate account that allows you to send and receive Gmail (Google email) using your @mail.dcu.ie email address. Your DCU Apps account provides the benefits of Gmail in an ad-free environment.
You may also use a customised from address to combine your other personal email accounts into your DCU Apps gmail account.
Are themes available in my DCU Apps Gmail account?
Yes .. More Information is available here.
There are 2 things to be aware of
- They are only available in the latest browsers. See the information link above for details.
- Themes are considered a pre-release feature. And Google says of these features
"These features should be considered in testing for Google Apps, and we are unfortunately unable to offer support for these specific features."
So we have enabled themes but they are unsupported by Google in the DCU Apps environment. This means if you have problems with themes or if they do not work as expected there is nothing we can do.
Why can't I log into my DCU Apps account through the Google site?
DCU Apps is DCU's installation of the Google Apps for Education software suite, which Google offers to educational institutions and non-profit organisations. Due to account customisation and security requirements, users must log in through DCU's authentication system.
How will I control spam?
Your new DCU Gmail account will be protected from spam by Google’s antispam software. There will be a spam label below to inbox to check if mail has been incorrectly marked as spam. You will no longer receive the spam reports from the DCU spam system.
Can I use other email programs to access my DCU Apps email?
The google instructions for POP/IMAP/Mobile access refer to email@example.com. In your case this will be your full DCU mail address (e.g. Joe.Bloggs5@mail.dcu.ie). Your password will be your original registration/DCU network password.
Why do I need two passwords?
There are two passwords associated with your DCU Apps Gmail account depending on how you access your mail. One is your DCU registration/network/moodle password - used for web access. The other is a local google password used for IMAP/POP/Talk client access. These passwords are both set to be the same initially - your original registration password.
If you never change your DCU network password then your 2 passwords will always be the same.
When accessing your account using a web browser on a PC or phone your username is the short version (e.g. bloggsj5) and you will always use your DCU network password.
When accessing your account using a client (IMAP/POP/Desktop Talk) your username is your full email address (e.g.Joe.Bloggs5@mail.dcu.ie) and the password is stored locally on google - your original registration password.
Why is it that my DCU Apps account doesn’t have the same applications as my personal Gmail account?
Your DCU Apps account is part of a software suite called Google Apps for Education, which Google offers to educational institutions and non-profit organisations. Google decides which services to include in the Google Apps for Education software suite.
What if I want to use a Google program that is not offered through DCU Apps?
If you wish to use a Google program that is not included in DCU Apps, such as Google Groups, you can use your personal Gmail account. If you do not have a personal Gmail account, you can sign up for one at www.gmail.com.