Information for : Staff Information Skills | DCU Library
Developing your students' information skills
The Library is committed to working with university staff to support the development of student information literacy skills and knowledge. The skills required to find, evaluate, manage and use information effectively are essential to the success of a student’s academic and professional career. These skills are best developed within the context of a specific programme of study where students can develop and practice these skills over time and in the context of their own discipline needs. Consult the guide Integrating Information Literacy into the Curriculum for more information about Information Literacy and to see sample case studies from a number of Irish institutions.
How can the library help?
Our team of Subject Librarians will work with you to:
- Identify appropriate opportunities to incorporate information literacy teaching into programmes and module(s) at a point that best suits your students’ needs
- Identify suitable information literacy learning activities and assessment tasks
Information Literacy Classes and Workshops
The team will deliver tailored module integrated classes and workshops for your students covering topics such as:
- Analysing an assignment topic and indentifying the information required
- Finding and using relevant and high quality sources (including tools for finding journal articles; quality data sources, newspaper articles and so forth)
- Evaluating the relevance and credibility of information found
- Understanding plagiarism and how to correctly cite and reference sources used in assignments
The Library also delivers worksops in collaboration with the Graduate Research Office aimed at new research students. Contact your Subject Librarian if you wish to organise classes for a discipline specific group of students. Research students can also arrange a one-to-one consultation with their Subject Librarian.
Online Resources and Support
Our three module information tutorial, LETS, is available via Loop for students to work through in their own time. Teaching staff may wish to incorporate elements of LETS into their own teaching or link to elements of it via their Loop page. A LETS online quiz is also available to staff and can be used as part of an assessment or learning activity. Ask your Subject Librarian for more information.