Our DCU virtual book club
Connect with the DCU community through the love of reading!
DCU Library is delighted to support this fantastic initiative developed by the DCU Cultural Arts Office in partnership with DCU HR and DCU Library.
Each month, DCU hosts a virtual monthly book club for our staff community. Below is information on the books, Facebook page and competition.
To register your interest in joining Our DCU Virtual Book Club please click here
Dance Move by Wendy Erskine
Poguemahone by Pat McCabe
New date: Tuesday 15th March at 7:30pm
27th January at 7:30pm CANCELLED
- Online interview with author Séamas O'Reilly
- Moderated by Marcella Bannon, Cultural Arts Officer, DCU.
24th February at 7:30pm
- Online interview with author Claire Keegan
- Moderated by John McDonough, University Librarian, DCU.
31st March at 7:30pm
- Online interview with author Cauvery Madhavan
- Moderated by Dr Tapasya Narang, School of English, DCU.
28th April at 7:30pm
- Online interview with author Wendy Erskine
- Moderated by Prof. Eugene McNulty, School of English, DCU.
26th May at 7:30pm
- Online interview with author Pat McCabe
- Moderated by Dr Michael Hinds, School of English, DCU.
Our Facebook book club group is a great way to connect with other members and join in on book discussions.
Members only - you can join by clicking here
Win a copy of Poguemahone by Pat McCabe.
Answer this question:
What is the name of the young teacher/protagonist character in Pat McCabe's "The Dead School"?
Our Subject Librarians have compiled a list of interesting articles that explore the diverse benefits of reading.
Some of these links might require logging in with a DCU username and password.
- This is your brain on Jane Austen and Stanford researchers are taking notes by Corrie Goldman
- Teacher wellbeing: Is reading the best way to relax? by Carly Page
- Reading in a Time of Crisis by Stephen Sposato
- Clubbing with my Husband by Carol Weston
- A chapter a day: Association of book reading with longevity by lAvni Bavishi, Martin D.Slade, Becca R.Levy
- How reading rewires your brain for higher intelligence and empathy by Derek Beres
- Cultural transfer in reading groups: from theory to practice and back by Jeanette den Toonder, Saskia Visser, Sandra van Voorst
- Benefits of Reading Books: How It Can Positively Affect Your Life by H. Moawad
- Reading fiction: the benefits are numerous by Rosemary Marshall
- The Case for Reading Fiction by Christine Seifert