Special Collections & Archives
Materials from many of our Special Collections and Archives are available for consultation in our Reading Room, situated on the lower ground floor of O'Reilly Library.
Currently this service is available by appointment only and appointments must be made at least 3 working days in advance.
Booking a Seat:
- Submit your booking here: Book A Seat
- Select O'Reilly Library: Special Collections & Archives under service
- Select the date and time
- Accept the O’Reilly Library and Special Collections and Archives reading room terms and conditions.
- Enter your name, DCU ID number, DCU email address, and the type and name of research collection you wish to consult during your appointment
- Submit your booking. Please note this does not confirm your appointment, a member of the Special Collections and Archives team will contact you by email to confirm your appointment.
Please note: Phone or email bookings will not be accepted
Reading Room Terms & Conditions
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, all readers using the Special Collections & Archives (SC&A) Reading Room must agree to the following additional terms and conditions:
- This booking request is for consulting research collections in the SC&A Reading Room only.
- Face-coverings must be worn in the Reading Room at all times. Access to the Reading Room will not be granted unless you are wearing one. Reading Room staff will also wear masks and/or face-coverings at all times. Masks and/or face coverings will not be provided by Reading Room staff.
- The Reading Room will be kept ventilated during your research appointment. You are advised to wear appropriate clothing accordingly.
- The Reading Room will close from 12:00-14:00 and at 16:00 each day.
- Click and Collect service for SC&A loans is not available.
- No food or drink (including bottled water) is allowed in the SC&A Reading Room.
- Pencils or laptops are only to be used when making notes.
- Mobile phones are to be placed on silent mode or switched off and no calls are to be taken or received.
- Bags and outdoor coats can be stored adjacent to the Reading Room consultation table.
- Readers must not mark books or material from the archives in any way.
- Readers should take care when handling books and archives and must comply with the advice given by members of staff.
- No items or books are to be removed from the SC&A Reading Room.
- Toilets are accessible via the ground floor entrance to the library.
- Please keep a distance of two metres between you and the Reading Room staff.
- Your desk will be sanitised by Reading Room staff prior to and after your appointment.
- Do not use hand sanitiser before handling archival material.
- Readers must seek permission from a member of staff before taking photographs
- Due to COVID-19 staffing restrictions, in the unlikely event that the SC&A invigilator has to leave the Reading Room, you will also be asked to leave the Reading Room, until the invigilator allows you to return. Any belongings left in the Reading Room will be locked in the room.
- You must request your SC&A appointment booking at least 3 working days in advance of your appointment.
- Submission of this ‘Book your Seat’ service DOES NOT confirm your SC&A Reading Room appointment. A member of the SC&A will contact you by email in the coming days to confirm your appointment.
- For any further queries please contact SC&A staff at email@example.com