Borrow, Return & Renew, Reserve & Recall, Fines, and My Account
Self Issue Machines
- The Self Issue Machines allow you to self-issue any items you wish to borrow, return or renew during our opening hours
- They also allow you to check your online "My Library Account"
O'Reilly Library, Glasnevin Campus - 3 machines on Ground Floor
Cregan Library, St. Patrick's Campus - 2 machines on Ground Floor
- You will always need your DCU student ID card to borrow any library items.
- Simply bring books or DVDs, along with your ID card, to the Self Issue Machines in either library
- Press "Borrow" and follow the on-screen instructions
- Always print or email an issue receipt to get the due date/time of return
- NB: You cannot use another student's ID card, this is a serious breach of security as cards are non-transferable
- You will receive an email listing items due for return through your DCU e-mail account. You should check this daily if you have a number of items on loan.
- Check what items you currently have on loan and their due dates by using My Library Account - see My Library Account, in other tab, for more details.
Number of items you can borrow
|Type of Student||Total Loans||Main Lending 3 week & 1 week||48hr & Short Loan||DVDs|
|Undergraduates||14||Up to 14 items||Maximum 2||Maximum 2|
|Taught Postgraduates||20||Up to 20 items||Maximum 2||Maximum 2|
|Research Postgraduates||20||Up to 20: 3 week loans for Semester||Maximum 2||Maximum 2|
|Open Education Students||20||Up to 20: 3 week loans for 4 weeks||Maximum 2||Maximum 2|
|Staff||20||Up to 20: 3 week loans for Semester||Maximum 2||Maximum 2|
|Alumni||14||Up to 14||None||Maximum 2|
Return & Renew
- To avoid fines and borrowing restrictions, all items must be returned to the library on or before Service Desk closing time on the due date
- Items on loan are the responsibility of the borrower until they are removed from your library account.
- NOTE: you will not be able to borrow/renew if you have an overdue item on you account
How to return a book
- Bring the book to one of the self-service machines on the ground floor of both libraries
- Press "Return" and follow the onscreen instructions
- Always print or email a return receipt to confirm the transaction
- A book that has been reserved by another borrower will not be able to be returned on a self-service machine. Return this book to the Issue Desk
- An external book bin is available outside the O'Reilly Library for returns when the library is closed
- You may return a book to either library. Return the book to internal book bins at Issue Desks outside staff service hours
How to renew a book
- Online - via the Library Website, select "My Library Account", enter your borrower number and library PIN (see My Library Account tab for more details)
- Self-service machine - scan your ID card, press Renew and follow the on screen instructions (don’t forget to email/print the receipt with the new date!)
- Telephone - 01 7005041; O'Reilly Library, Issue Desk OR 01 8842170; Cregan Library, Reception Desk
- Email - email your renewal request to firstname.lastname@example.org (O'Reilly Library books) or email@example.com (Cregan Library books)
- NB: Short Loan (48hours) and 2 day loan DVDs may not be renewed.
Reserve & Recall
- If all main collection copies of a book are out on loan you may place a reservation on the title to put yourself next in line when one of the copies is returned.
- When the book is returned you will be notified by email to your DCU email account.
- The book will be held for 3 working days in the library in which it is held - collect from the Issue Desk in either O'Reilly or Cregan Library.
How to reserve a book
- First, find the book on the library catalogue.
- Ensure that all main collection copies are currently on loan (you cannot reserve 48 hour items).
- Click Reserve button
- Enter your borrower number (your DCU Student number) and your library PIN
- Click the Reserve button again to confirm your request
- Maximum of 2 active reservations per student
- Reservations can only be collected from the library where it is held
- When the book is ready for collection we will send an email to your DCU email account
- You will have 3 working days to collection this book from the Issue Desk of it's home library
- If you no longer require a reservation you can cancel it from My Library Account
- NB: Short Loans (48hours) and DVDs may not be reserved.
Recall a book
- If a book you have reserved is on long term loan, i.e. longer than 4 weeks, you can request it be recalled for you.
- Ensure you have placed a reservation on the item and then call to the Issue Desk in O'Reilly or Cregan Library to request that a recall is placed on the book.
- All loans issued from the library are subject to recall therefore you are required to return the item.
- When the recall is placed by Library staff, the due date of the loan is changed to a new date, 7 working days from the date the recall is placed.
- You will be notified about the recall and the new due date by email to your DCU email account.
- If the item is not returned by this new due date, it will become overdue, fines will accrue and you will be restricted from borrowing/renewing any further material until the recall is returned.
- When the recall is returned, you may place a reservation on the item to ensure you can have access to the item again.
- If loans are not returned or renewed on or before the due date, they become overdue and fines are payable.
- 48 hour loans must be returned on the due date and time printed on the email or receipt - these items may not be renewed.
- If a recalled item is not returned by the revised due date it will become overdue and fines will be payable, (see Recalls for more details).
- Borrowing restrictions will be imposed if there are charges exceeding €10 on your account or where a charge of any amount has been on your account for longer than 1 month.
|Main Collection 3 weeks||50c per day|
|Main Collection 1 week||50c per day|
|Short Loan 48hr||50c per hour or part thereof|
|DVDs||€2 per day|
- All fines can be paid at the Issue Desk with cash only
- Fines over €5 can be paid through the Online fine payment (you need your student ID number and Library PIN)
My Library Account
My Library Account
My Library Account is an online facility which allows you to view your library account. * You need your Student ID number and your Library PIN to access this* .
- Loans - you can view your loans and check their due dates (please note that the due date on the Self-service receipt and the due date on your account will vary if a recall has been placed on the loan - the due date on your account is the correct date)
- Renewals - you can renew your loans where this is allowed. See Renewals for details.
- Reservations - check what reservation(s) you have currently requested. You will also have an option to cancel these if necessary.
- Fines - view any outstanding charges on your account. You can pay any fines over €5 online
- Settings - you can change your PIN
You can access My Library Account from the Quicklinks section on the Library website, or from the information bar on the catalogue search page. You will need your 8 digit student number and your Library PIN to access your account. This PIN is emailed to you and is also available from library staff in either library,