DCU Library seat management campaign Share the Chair
9th December 2019 - 16th January 2020
O'Reilly and Cregan Library
We are pleased to welcome back our seat management campaign “Share the Chair” this exam season. This campaign is in direct response to a high demand for seats and student requests for us to tackle seat holding. Any unattended desks with personal items left behind for more than 60 minutes, will be cleared to free up that desk for another student.
A consistent and methodical approach on both library sites will be rolled out, with a dedicated team of seat monitors in place to help us manage the project.
Our primary goal is to significantly reduce instances of seat holding, during our busiest weeks of seat demand.
How does Share the Chair work
- Seat Monitors will patrol designated desks at specific times from 9am - 5pm (every 30 mins)
- Should a desk be unoccupied (i.e. personal belongings left behind) for 3 checks in a row, the monitor will remove all personal items into a storage box near the seat
- Each cleared desk will have had 3 occupancy checks
- This timing system allows the monitors to track seat occupancy - we cannot track the movements of individual students in the vicinity
- Please speak to a Seat Monitor, or library staff at Information Services desk, with any questions or comments you may have
- This campaign does not monitor the movement of each individual student, but rather the occupancy of each designated desk
- Unnecessary absence from desks is not recommended, as frequent absences within an hour may lead to the removal of all personal belongings, to free the desk for another student
- DCU library is not responsible for lost or stolen items left behind to hold study spaces