Apply for Ethical Approval
1. All Undergraduate and Taught Masters research projects are reviewed at local School level. Students should liaise with their supervisors regarding this process. Please refer to the following documents:
- Ethical review of Undergraduate and Taught Masters research projects by School/Unit
- Annual Activity Report Template for Schools/Units
2. For all other research projects that require ethical approval, you must submit the application form and associated documentation (see section below) to REC via the Research Ethics Application Portal on Loop. If there are any issues submitting application forms via the portal, researchers should email email@example.com. Please refer to the Calendar of REC Meetings 2020 & 2021 below for details on submission deadlines in 2020 & 2021 respectively.
- The level of ethical review required will be dependent on a combination of risk assessment, the specific population to be researched, and the research methods to be used. The researcher, supervisor and research team (as applicable) should carry out an ethical assessment of their project to determine the appropriate level. Advice on this can be sought in advance of submission via firstname.lastname@example.org. You will be required to provide a brief justification for the final decision reached within your REC application, and this will be evaluated as part of the review. Guidelines on level of review are provided on the main Research Ethics page - examples are provided in each category, but these are not an exhaustive list of the projects falling into each category.
- Ensure that the application is fully completed with all supplementary materials included (recruitment materials, participant information sheet, informed consent, permission letters, etc. Incomplete applications will be not be reviewed, but will be returned for completion, which will delay their review. Avoid using technical jargon and insider terminology, as REC members come from various academic and non-academic backgrounds.
- Ensure that the entire application, but especially the materials intended for distribution to participants, are free of spelling and grammar errors, and proofread for readability, clarity and accuracy.
REC Forms - Applications, Templates and Amendments
Please note that there is one application form for all levels of ethics review. Previous level-specific forms (e.g. notification form) are no longer in operation.
If your research requires approval from the Biological Safety Committee, this approval should be in place prior to REC submission. Please refer to the BSC submission forms and associated documentation on the Faculty webpage.
All HPRA applicants must contact BRAG in the first instance, as there is an internal review meeting to be undertaken with them before any application can be submitted to the REC. Further details available from the BRAG Chair - email@example.com