Head Start Writing (Mature Students)
The Student Learning team and the Mature Student Officer work collaboratively to provide an annual Head Start Writing week for incoming first-year mature students. This week-long course is an opportunity for mature students to refresh their academic writing skills before returning to university.
What students say
I feel a lot more prepared and confident to start my course after having completed the week. One of my biggest fears was whether I would be able to write to the level required, now I have a lot of tools at my disposal and I also know that help is available if I need it.
Dates and registration
This course runs at the beginning of the academic year and is only open to incoming first-year mature students. All students in this cohort will receive notification in advance from the Mature Student Officer on how to register for the course.
Further information on other pre-entry events for incoming mature students is available here.
The full programme for the next edition will be made available closer to the start date. Topics will include:
- Maintaining motivation throughout your studies.
- The basics of Academic Writing.
- Different assignment types and how to tackle them.
- Understanding the question and brainstorming.
- Finding sources.
- Planning your essay.
- Writing your first draft: paragraphs, introductions, conclusions.
- Revising and editing.
- Citing and referencing to avoid plagiarism.