☰       Show/Hide Menu

☰       Department Menu

Student Health Service


Medical Cards

The Student Health Service is not a medical card practice. All medical cardholders are advised to register with a Dublin based GMS doctor.

A Medical Card entitles the holder to free consultation and in certain circumstances to free prescriptions and free hospitalisation. Students are not entitled to a Medical Card unless their parents have such a card, but mature students i.e. over 24 years of age could be entitled to a card in their own right depending on income.

You can apply online for a medical card on medicalcard.ie. This is the quickest method of obtaining the card. If you have any questions about medical cards and eligibility. You can also contact the HSE Info line: Call save 1850 24 1850

For further information on changing your GMS doctor please contact:

HSE Central Medical Card Office

Client Registration Unit
P.O Box 11745
Dublin 11

Telephone: 01 - 5647100

e-mail: pcrs:@hse.ie

If you hold a medical card and attend the student health service, medication prescribed by the doctor will not be on a GMS prescription and you will be charged the full amount on presentation of that prescription to the pharmacist.