Dr James Gallen
Law and Government
|Name:||Dr James Gallen|
|Department:||Law and Government|
|Phone Number:||Ext. 6045|
James Gallen is a graduate and Scholar of Trinity College Dublin and a graduate of New York University School of Law. He is a former Transitional Justice Scholar at New York University and has served as an Intern and Fellow at the International Center for Transitional Justice in New York and Kathmandu. He is a lecturer in the School of Law and Government at DCU. Mr. Gallen defended his Ph.D. thesis in the School of Law at Trinity College Dublin in May 2012. His doctoral thesis examines the relationship between transitional justice, peace-building and economic development in international law. His research interests include human rights, international law and legal and political philosophy. His present research agenda concerns the implementation of policy coherence in international assistance to transitions and a transitional justice approach to child sex abuse in the Roman Catholic Church.
Public international law, human rights, jurisprudence and political philosophy, transitional justice, international criminal law.
- Chairperson - Irish Society of International Law
- Gallen, James. 2015. O'Keeffe v Ireland: The Liability of States for Failure to Provide an Effective System for the Detection and Prevention of Child Sexual Abuse in Education. THE MODERN LAW REVIEW, 78, 1, pp151-163.
- Gallen James. 2015. Odious Debt and Jus Post Bellum. THE JOURNAL OF WORLD INVESTMENT AND TRADE (PRINT),
- Gallen James and Smith Colin. 2014. Cain Adomhnain and International Humanitarian Law. JOURNAL OF THE HISTORY OF INTERNATIONAL LAW, 16, 1
- James Gallen. 2013. Security Sector Reform, Models of Policing and Methods of Comparison. IRISH JOURNAL OF LEGAL STUDIES, 3, 2
- James Gallen. 2013. A Humble, Stumbling Start: Lubanga, Moreno-Ocampo, and the Tenth Anniversary of the International Criminal Court. 2, 1
Peer Reviewed Journals
- Farran Sue, Gallen James, Hendry Jen and Rautenbach Christa (eds). Diffusion, The Movement of Law and Norms, Ashgate, 2015.
- James Gallen. 2014. Transitional Justice in Nepal: Prosecutions, Reform and Accountability Strategies. Transitional Criminal Justice in Post Dictatorial Societies, pp47-66, Intersentia.
- James Gallen. 2014. Jus Post Bellum: An Interpretive Framework. Jus Post Bellum: Mapping the Normative Foundations, pp58-79, Oxford University Press.
- Gallen James, Jus Post Bellum: An Interpretive Framework, Jus Post Bellum: Mapping the Normative Foundations Conference, 31-MAY-12 - 01-JUN-12, The Hague, The Netherlands
- Gallen, James, International Law in the Circumstances of Transition: Towards a Law of Transitional Justice and Development, Centre for Criminal Justice and Human Rights Post-Graduate Conference, 29-APR-10 - 29-APR-10, University College Cork, Ireland
- Gallen, James, Outreach: Justice Seen to be Done, Irish Jurisprudence Seminar Series, 19-MAR-09 - 19-MAR-09, School of Law, Trinity College Dublin
- Gallen, James, The Criminal Laws of Nepal: An International and Comparative Perspective, Irish Society of Comparative Law, Annual Conference, 28-FEB-09 - 28-FEB-09, University of Limerick, Ireland