Impressive wins for DCU at annual student awards ceremonies
Students and societies from DCU have scooped top honours at two of the country’s largest and best-known student award ceremonies - the National Student Media Awards (SMEDIAs) and the Student Society Awards (BICS).
Dublin City University won all six radio category awards in the SMEDIAs, the Oscars for Students, which recognise excellence in student media from colleges throughout Ireland. The awards received over 1,000 entries from student journalists, broadcasters and producers.
● Radio Journalist of the Year - Eoin Sheahan
● Radio DJ of the Year - Eoin Sheahan and Sean Defoe
● Radio Production in Irish (Udaras na Gaeltachta) - Caoimhe ni Chathaill and Barra O’Scannlain, Starroga na Seachtaine
● Radio Production of the Year - News & Current Affairs (Foras na Gaeilge) - Tommy Meskill
● Radio Production Arts & Features - Cian Roche and Garrett Lavin, Action Replay
● RSA Award for Journalism Relating to Road Safety – Eoin Sheahan and Sean Defoe
DCU was also awarded the top accolade in three categories at the annual BICS Awards. The event aims to give students and their societies an opportunity to share their numerous achievements from the previous year and to celebrate the importance and value that societies contribute to college life.
● Best Society - Cultural, Academic, Social - DCU Media Production Society
● Best Society - Charity, Civic - DCU Raising and Giving
● Best Society Fresher - Cáit Ní Ceallacháin