DCU lead the way with six players on the Rising Stars Football Team of the Year 2020
Congratulations to the six DCU Dóchas Éireann footballers who have been named on the Electric Ireland Higher Education Rising Stars Football Team of the Year 2020. This follows DCU’s success in claiming the Sigerson title for the fifth time this year.
DCU footballers named as part of the 2020 Football Team of the Year named include:
- Goalkeeper Evan Comerford (DCU Dóchas Éireann, Ballymun Kickhams, Dublin), who managed to go through the whole campaign without conceding a goal and was a key asset to DCU’s Sigerson Cup winning team
- Brendan McCole (DCU Dóchas Éireann, Naomh Naille, Donegal)
- Jordan Morrissey (DCU Dóchas Éireann, Éire Óg, Carlow)
- Shane Carthy (DCU Dóchas Éireann, Naomh Mearnóg, Dublin)
- Forward Mícheál Bannigan (DCU Dóchas Éireann, Aughnamullen and Monaghan) who registered a total of 3-17 over the four games, meaning he was the competition’s top scorer
- David Garland (DCU Dóchas Éireann, Donaghmoyne Fotenoys and Monaghan) who was also named 2020 Player of the Year. David contributed in all games, landing a total of 1-14 finishing off with a man of the match performance in January’s Sigerson Cup Final against Carlow IT.
Congratulating the players, James Galvin, DCU Head of Sport and Wellbeing, said:
“This is wonderful news for DCU and coming at a time when it really serves to raise everyone’s spirits. We recognise that as dual career athletes, it’s always a challenge to juggle education with high-level sport. I want to pay tribute to these students’ character and commitment. They continue to make an enormous contribution to the life of DCU. We are immensely proud of their achievement.”