Active Directory (AD)
Microsoft Active Directory provides central authentication and authorisation services for DCU Windows based computers. It also allows Network Administrators to assign policies, deploy software, and apply critical updates to networked computers. Active Directory was designed to support thousands of computers simultaneously.
When a users attempts to log on to a windows computer that is in Active Directory, it automatically attempts to verify the users password with the Active Directory server.
ISS have successfully migrated DCU Windows computers to Microsoft Active Directory, encompassing changes to file, print and authentication services. Benefits of Active Directory include:
- Automated software delivery
- Patch Management
- Remote Inventory & Administration
- Improved desktop and laptop security
- Better infrastructure management
Logging into Active DirectoryWhen the computer starts up, press the Ctrl+Alt+Del keys together.
You will be presented with the Code of Conduct for the Use of Computer Resources at Dublin City University screen. Please ensure that you are familiar with this policy.
To proceed, click OK. You'll then be asked to enter your DCU Username and Password. Enter your DCU account details and press enter to continue logging in to the computer
If you have a problem logging in, make sure the server is set to AD and not the local workstation name e.g ISS-D-053.
Once you've succesfully logged onto the network with your DCU credentials, your account details will be remembered on the PC or laptop, so that you can log in even when you're not connected to the DCU network.
Adding a Printer
Adding a Printer in Active Directory
Network printer setup is now a self service process, allowing users to quickly provision the printers they need rather than having to request ISS set them up on the print queues. In order to set up your network printers, please go to the following video or follow the instructions below.
How do I add a network printer in Windows 7?
- Click on Start -> Device and Printers
- Near the top of the window that appears, click 'Add a printer'
- Click on 'A network, wireless or Bluetooth'
- A list of available printer should appear - if the printer you require is listed, then double click the printer name to install the printer. Proceed to step 8
- If the printer you require isn't listed, click on 'The printer that I want isn't listed'
- Select 'Find a printer in the directory, based on location or feature'
- Select the printer you wish to install, and double click on it.
- The printer will now install - you will receive a message to say that it has been successfully added. Click 'Next'
- If you wish to set the printer as the default printer, tick the 'Set as the default printer'.
- Click 'Finish' to complete the process.
DCU Software Center
What is DCU Software Center?
DCU Software Center, is the flagship systems management product from Microsoft. It is a comprehensive management solution for computer systems utilising Microsoft Windows operating systems. With Software Center, ISS staff can proactively manage the entire lifecycle of all Windows-powered devices. This includes deploying and maintaining systems and software, responding to security threats, distributing settings, and analysing inventory data.
If you would like to learn more about Configuration Manager, please visit the Microsoft website.
What are the benefits of Software Center?
- Reliability: Your device will quickly receive software updates and patches with little to no interaction on your part.
- Time Efficiency: You will stay more productive as deployment and updating processes run in the background, freeing up more time for teaching, research and management.
- Flexibility: You can choose when and where to install new software or run maintenance on your device through Self-service portals.
- Security: You can rest assured that software patches, antivirus protection, and firewalls are well maintained.
- Confidentiality: Your data and files will remain confidential; no personal data is scanned, indexed, or transmitted off your device. Software Center servers also keep full audit logs of any actions performed by technicians.
How do I install software from Software Center?
Follow the instructions below and learn how to launch DCU Software Center and install software.
- Open the run dialogue box on your PC by clicking the keyboard shortcut [Windows]+[R], see image below.
- Type softwarecenter: into the dialogue box and then click ok.
- Choose which software you wish to install, in this instance we have chosen 7 Zip.
- Double click on the software icon to proceed to the next step.
- Click the install button below the software icon to complete the process.
- Once the software is installed it will be searchable via the run dialogue box and can be launched by double clicking on the software.