DCU Student Mailing Lists
DCU Student Mailing Lists
What are Student Mailing Lists?
The student mail lists facilitate communication with groups of students by e-mail. They facilitate:
- lecturers sending mail messages to students registered on particular modules or courses they are associated with
- staff sending messages to all students in a particular school or faculty
- staff sending messages to students based on year of study or level of study
- students sending messages to other students in their module or on their course
- The student mailing lists were upgraded for the academic year 2015/2016 to use the DCU Apps Google Groups platform. If you have any questions in relation to the student mailing lists please contact us.
Who Can Send Messages to the Lists?
The student mailing lists will only accept e-mails sent from valid DCU e-mail addresses.
- Staff - DCU e-mail addresses are whitelisted and can send messages to all student e-mail lists.
- Students - Students that are whitelisted to send messages to lists that they are a member of.
- Students - Students can not post messages to lists they are not a member of.
- Please contact the Students Union in relation to advertising social events or selling second hand books etc.
- Students who are teaching must use Loop to send messages to the students on relevant modules if they do not have a staff contract/e-mail account. The registered teacher on the module must add the student as a teacher in Loop first.
To opt out of a mailing list follow the steps below.
- Log in to you DCU Apps A/C apps.dcu.ie
- Click on the Google Apps Launcher on the top right hand corner of the page.
- Click on MORE.
- Click on GROUPS
- Click on MY GROUPS on the top left of the page.
- Scroll to DCU staff on the left of the page.
- Navigate the cursor to the grey box labeled All Mail.
- Click on this to expand.
- Select NO Mail to opt out of receiving mail from the DCU staff mailing list.
- Select ABRIDGED EMAIL to receive a single email summary of all mail to your account on a given day
- Select a Digest email to receive email grouped in batches of 25.
- Select All Mail to continue to receive mail from the list.
The student mailing lists are generated based on academic year and the year is also included in the name for clarity.
The list names for the academic year 2014/2015 are pre-pended with '2015-'.
The list names for the academic year 2015/2016 are pre-pended with '2016-' etc.
The previous student mail list system used addresses of the format 'firstname.lastname@example.org'.
All the student lists are now of the format 'email@example.com'.
It is also possible to search for the student mailing lists within your DCU Apps staff mail system now. The address book is searched as you type into the 'To:' field and will autocomplete with suggestions.
To mail all students registered for a particular course/programme, the e-mail list address is 'firstname.lastname@example.org'.
All DCU staff can post messages to all course lists.
Students can post to the course lists that they are a member of.
To contact all students on a particular module the mail address would be 'email@example.com'.
firstname.lastname@example.org: All students registered on module be322 (Transport Phenomena In Bioprocess Systems) in the academic year 2014/2015
email@example.com: All students registered on module be322 in the academic year 2015/2016
All DCU staff can post messages to all module e-mail lists.
Students can post messages to the module lists that they are a member of.
Teachers on modules in the Loop system can post messages to those module lists. Simply post a message to the news forum as described in this video. Your message will appear online in the news forum and will also be delivered as an e-mail to the students on that module.
The faculty and school lists facilitate sending mail messages to students according to school, faculty, year of study and level of study.
To send a mail to the mailing list for the previous final year students, use the format (class)-graduates-(year)@list.dcu.ie
firstname.lastname@example.org: All students who graduated from BT (Biotechnology) in the academic year 2010/2011
email@example.com: All students who graduated from AC (Accounting) in the academic year 2014/2015
DCU staff can view the members of student mailing lists - so you can find individual e-mail addresses in this way.
Also, you can use the new classlists facility to view individual student details.
All messages sent to student e-mail lists are archived. To view previous messages to a list you have 2 options.
- Find your course or module in the new classlists facility which will contain a link to the archives.
- In your DCU Apps account go the groups page and search for the list of interest.