What is Google Drive?
Google Drive is a cloud storage service, and like any cloud storage service, its main purpose is to expand your ability to store files beyond the limits of your hard drive.
What can be stored on Google Drive?
Google Drive can store all types of files. You can also save email attachments sent to you through Gmail directly to Google Drive, which saves you from having to make the move manually.
There are some general file attribute limits that Google Drive enforces, however, they’re pretty generous and shouldn’t impact most use. See below.
These are the documents, spreadsheets, and presentation sizes you can store in Google Drive.
- Documents: Up to 1.02 million characters. If you convert a text document to Google Docs format, it can be up to 50 MB.
- Spreadsheets: Up to 2 million cells for spreadsheets that are created in or converted to Google Sheets.
- Presentations: Up to 100 MB for presentations converted to Google Slides.
- All other files: Up to 5 TB.
- Limitations: After you've uploaded 750 GB in 1 day, you'll be blocked from uploading additional files that day.
In Google Drive, you preview files from within the browser without having to download them, first. Previews are available for Microsoft Office, Adobe and general file types, like .txt files, image files, audio files and even video files. Its versatility makes Google Drive great for not only getting work done but enjoying your media library, too.
Google Drive can be launched from within DCU mail a/c via the DCU apps launcher located at the top right of the application. Google Drive can also be accessed through all major browsers by going to drive.google.com and logging in using your DCU account credentials. That includes Chrome, of course, in addition to Firefox, Microsoft Edge (Windows only) and Safari (Mac only).
Google drive comes in two versions Google Drive for Desktop and Backup and Sync, which are explained below.
What is Google Drive for Desktop?
Google Drive for Desktop is a desktop application that allows you to quickly access all of your Google Drive files on demand, directly from your computer without losing precious drive space.
Your files are stored in the cloud instead of your computer, and any changes you make are automatically synced with the cloud for quick, easy access anywhere you have an Internet connection.
In addition, you can select which files you would like to make available for offline use. Google Drive for Desktop is compatible with both Shared Drives and classic Drive.
When you install Google Drive for Desktop on your computer, it creates a drive in Microsoft Windows Explorer or a device in Apple Mac Finder named Google Drive.
All your My Drive and Shared Drives files will appear there.
Google Drive for Desktop Features:
- Upload Files for Storage: Receive unlimited free storage with DCU Apps.
- Share Files: Share files with friends and co-workers easily with DCU Apps Drive.
- Google Docs: When using Drive via your web browser you will have access to the Google Docs suite.
Google Drive for Desktop Enables:
- Access, search and manage files on-demand from your computer in seconds.
- Get just the files you need and make certain files available for offline use later.
- Access your work even quicker, as your most-used files become available in the background intelligently.
- Enables the user to stream My Drive and Shared Drives files directly from the cloud.
Google Drive for Desktop Benefits:
- Frees up disk space and network bandwidth.
- Decreases sync time.
- Minimises the amount of DCU data stored on users’ hard drives.
Follow the instructions below and learn how to install Google Drive for Desktop on your PC / LAPTOP. If you are working from home or off-campus please ensure that you are connected to Pulse secure ( VPN )
In the search box type in software center and then click open
Now click install to start the download process
Google Drive for Desktop is now installing
Now enter in your DCU username and password and then click login.
Google drive is now installed click the x to close the pop window
Google drive for Desktop
What is Google Back Up & Sync?
Safely back up your files - Upload and store files from any folder on your computer, camera, and SD cards in the cloud. You can find your content on any phone, tablet, or computer using Google Drive, and your photos and videos in Google Photos.
Google Back Up & Sync Features:
- Once the application is installed you can commence the process of backing up your data with one click of the mouse.
Google Back Up & Sync Enables:
- Choose which files and folders to back up.
- To access your files and folders from anywhere at any time.
Google Back Up & Sync Benefits:
- Your data is continually being backed up to the cloud.
- Simple automated operation.
- Unlimited storage for all DCU staff and students.
- Automatic backup of attached storage and cameras.
Follow the instructions below and learn how to install Google Drive Backup and Sync to your PC. If you are working from home or off-campus, please ensure that you are connected to Pulse secure ( VPN )
In the search box type in software center and then click open
To install Google Drive Back Up & Sync click on the icon highlighted below.
Click install to start the install process
Click GET STARTED to setup backup & sync on your computer. Note if you don't see this screen you will need to restart your computer.
Next enter in your DCU email address then click next. If you have multiple Gmail accounts then select your DCU email a/c to proceed.
If you see this screen select the Organisational Gsuite account option
Next enter in your DCU username and password and then click login to proceed to the next step.
Send a push to the Duo Application on your smart phone.and click approve to move to the next step.
Select the sign in with your browser option.
Select your DCU email account to use with Backup & Sync.
Click on the blue Allow button located to the bottom right of the screen, highlighted below by the red arrow
Click GOT IT
Select what Folder you wish to back up and then click on Next to proceed, located on the bottom right.
ISS recommends that to use the "choose folder" option if you have data in any other place apart from desktop, documents and pictures.
Leave the next option unticked and click on the Start button to complete this stage of the process.
If you are a Mac user it is possible to download File Stream and Back Up & Sync from this dedicated download page.
Compare sync solutions
|Feature||Drive For Desktop||Backup and Sync|
|Access files in My Drive||✔||✔|
|Access files in Shared Drives||✔||✘|
|Stream files on demand||✔||✘|
|Sync only selected folders in My Drive||✔||✔|
|Use native applications like MS Word and Photoshop||✔||✔|
|Sync other folders, like Documents or Desktop||✘||✔|
DCU Staff Shared Drives
DCU Staff Shared Drives are shared spaces where your teams can easily store, search, and access their files anywhere, from any device.
DCU Staff Shared Drives files belong to the team instead of an individual. Even if members leave, the files stay exactly where they are so your team can continue to share information and work.
Note when creating a DCU Staff Shared Drive assign the highest access level (such as Manager access) to all team members where possible.
What can you do with a DCU Staff Shared Drive?
You can create a DCU Staff Shared Drives for your projects or team to share information and work.
|Find files even after an employee leaves||
|Improved sharing rules||
|Shared Drives with external users||
|Synchronise content on your desktop||
For more information on Google Shared Drive please visit the G Suite Learning Centre