before you go
Want to study overseas?
If you’re planning to go overseas for a year or a semester on Erasmus+ or another exchange or study abroad programme, make sure you read this page carefully and complete each step.
Before you go: checklist
Use the GoinGlobal country and city guides to research your destination.
Key documents include:
- Certificate of Attendance From Start & End of Study 2020/2021
- Learning Agreement Outgoing Students 2020/2021
Helpful video on the Learning Agreement
The Higher Education Authority (HEA) gives EU exchange students grant funding to help with the additional costs of studying abroad, but you can’t rely on this alone to cover your living expenses.
This Erasmus grant does not affect other grants to which you may be entitled. The value of the grant depends on which country you’ll be studying in and the duration of your stay (as on your certificate of attendance form).
- Study Mobility Funding Table per Country
- Grant Agreement (the Exchange office will give you this to sign)
- Grant Acknowledgement Form (the Exchange office will give you this to sign once all funding has been paid)
You can use Erasmus+ Online Language Support while abroad (OLS). You can watch an explanatory video here.
DCU and many of our partner universities have signed up to SafeZone. We strongly encourage students to register with the app before travelling.
**BREXIT and Erasmus** (Updated regularly)