Student Mobility / Exchange Students
Mobility within the European Union – The European Credit Transfer System (ECTS System)
The European Credit Transfer System was initially set up in 1989 as a pilot scheme within the framework of the Erasmus programme. Its aim at that time was to facilitate the recognition of study periods undertaken abroad by mobile students through the transfer of credits. As a transfer system, ECTS has expanded to over 30 countries and has been introduced in more than one thousand higher education institutions.
Dublin City University fully subscribes to the ECTS System and allocates ECTS credits to all undergraduate and (taught) postgraduate programmes. In line with ECTS requirements, 60 credits measure the workload of a full-time student during one academic year. All DCU transcripts outline the number of credits allocated to modules studied by the students during any given academic year. Please note that DCU credits are equivalent to ECTS credits.
Within the ECTS System, it is possible for students registered at institutions which recognise the System, to study abroad and receive formal recognition for courses studied. Within this framework, DCU encourages student exchanges and mobility.
Please note that the links to the DCU website below represent the queries which arise most often. It is advisable to examine the entire website carefully.
- Discovering DCU
- Partner Institutions
- Academic Calendar
- Degree Programmes at DCU
- International Office Homepage
- Pre-Arrival Booklet
- Incoming Exchange Student Handbook
- Orientation and Registration
- Student Support & Development Homepage
- Academic Coordinators at DCU
- Erasmus/Exchange Module Lists
- Non-EU Students Visa Information
- Learning Agreement (Students from Non-EU partners only)
Incoming Exchange Student Module Choices, Module Registration, & building your Timetable:
- Incoming Student Guidelines on Module Registration & Timetabling (click here)
- MODULE CHANGE OF MIND FORM
Exchange Process for Outgoing Students:
- Erasmus+ Study Mobility Process Checklist
- Study Mobility Funding Table per Country
- Erasmus+ Student Charter (All Outgoing students must read carefully)
- - Learning Agreement 2017-18
- - Confirmation of Attendance Form Start & End of Study 2017-18
- - Grant Agreement (will be provided to students by the Exchange office for signatory)
- - Grant Acknowledgement Form (will be provided to students for signatory by the Exchange office once all funding has been paid)
DCU Staff Teaching & Staff Training Mobility (Erasmus Programme)