Support We Offer
The Events and Protocol team at DCU President's Office provides support and protocol expertise for members of the DCU community who are planning events that include high-profile State, national and international visitors, including visits by Heads of State and senior government officials.
Protocol Support and Guidance
We welcome the opportunity to speak with you during the early planning of your event, so that we can outline the level of support our team can provide, which may include:
- Managing the visiting dignitary’s speaking and protocol logistics on behalf of the President.
- Advising the local DCU event organiser on the invitation and planning process.
- Providing guidance on protocol such as form of address, flags, staging, seating, order of speaking, and gifts.
- Creating a Running Order (detailed schedule) of the event proceedings.
- Liaising with DCU Security on security and parking for the visiting dignitary.
Inviting High Profile Visitors to DCU
If you wish to invite a high-profile visitor to speak at a DCU event or launch a DCU initiative, the invitation must be issued in the President’s name, by the President’s Office, at least 1-2 months prior to your event. The process is as follows:
- The local organising individual/group must inform the relevant Head of School/Faculty/Unit
- Contact the President’s Office (Jane.firstname.lastname@example.org, Assistant to the President) to request that a formal invitation be issued in the President’s name. Please provide details including the event title and objective; key points of background information; and the proposed date and time.
- The President’s Office will review and, with the President’s approval, issue a formal letter of invitation.
- The President’s Office will report back to the relevant event organiser (invitation or no invitation).
- If an invitation is issued and accepted, the President’s Office will liaise with the event organiser to offer guidance on event planning and protocol.
- The President’s Office may ask you to complete a Speech Request Form, if the event will involve an address by the President of DCU.
Check out our Event Planning Toolkit, which is designed to support DCU staff who are organising events across our campuses. We hope it will offer some helpful guidelines, advice and contacts. You can access the Toolkit here.
Virtual Events Toolkit
Check out our Virtual Events Toolkit, which includes advice, guidelines and contacts for staff who are planning DCU virtual events.