Personal Statement Guidelines
To complete your application you are required to submit a personal statement detailing your experience and interest in the course. Your personal statement should be unique and tailored to the course for which you are applying.
What is a personal statement?
The personal statement offers you the opportunity to shed more light on your personality, character and suitability for the course. The information we are looking for should add clarity, richness and meaning to the information you have already provided in your application and in your Curriculum Vitae. Your personal statement will help us to assess your application and to make a decision on your suitability for the course.
What your personal statement should cover
- Why you are applying for the course and why you think you are suitable for it.
- How your academic abilities, relevant skills and knowledge will fit with the course and help you succeed.
- Your interest in the subject matter of the course, perhaps including some academic references or readings.
- What you know about DCU’s expertise in the subject matter of the course and why you want to study at DCU.
- The impact which you expect the course to have on your goals and aspirations and how the course will help you achieve them.
How to write a personal statement
There is no fixed structure or formula you should follow but here are some tips to help you:
- Start early: and think about what you would like to write, and how you would like to come across
- Write a draft, and give yourself enough time to make revisions
- Structure your personal statement to contain:
- a general introduction to yourself;
- body text to reflect your experiences, skills, interests and qualities;
- and a conclusion to reinforce your commitment to your chosen course and your enthusiasm about studying at DCU
- Present your ideas in a structured and meaningful manner
- Proofread and edit until you are happy that the structure, grammar, spelling and punctuation are correct.
- Stick to the word count and use double line spacing throughout.