Resit Examinations & Continuous Assessments
Interpreting your results
Information regarding your results is included on the exam results page and on your transcript. The explanation of result codes is included on the reverse of the transcript and at the bottom of the exam results page. Please ensure that you consult this for any failed or deferred modules to inform you what you need to resit.
F: Fail, resit all elements (continuous assessment and examination)
R: Resit examination element only
X: Resit failed examination element
W: Resit failed coursework element
S: Resit assessment element as per module descriptor
D or I: Resit elements not attempted at first opportunity (CA/Exam or both)
Each module descriptor defines the resit requirements for the module
Category 1: A resit is available for all elements of the module
Category 2: No resit is available for 100% CA module (this module must be taken as a repeat in the next academic session).
Category 3: No resit is available for the CA element (must resit examination even if the examination element has been passed already)
When can I take my resit?
If you have failed or deferred modules during the Academic session, these modules should be taken at the next available opportunity as defined in the reassessment requirement in the module descriptors (this may be Autumn (August) 2024 or the next academic session). Modules taken in the Autumn (August) are defined as resists for failed and deferred students.
Do I need to register and do I need to pay for my resit?
- If you have failed modules you will need to register for your resits and pay the resit fee
- If all your modules are deferred, you will automatically be registered for your resits and you will not be required to pay the resit fee
- If you have some deferred modules and have some failed modules you will be required to register for your resits and pay the resit fee
- The resit fee needs to be paid if you have failed exams or/and CA
- The resit registration fee is €150 irrespective of the number of resits to be taken
- Dates for registration for resits will be confirmed after the promulgation of the semester 2 results, you will be given plenty of time to register and pay
Please be advised that if you do not complete your outstanding resits, you will be recorded as absent for these modules at the Autumn Progression and Award Boards and will have to retake them the next academic year.
If you have already passed all modules for Academic year 2022/23 please go to the information page Registration for academic year 2023/2024.