Photography Request Form
For Prospective Research Students | School of Biotechnology
Opportunities for Postgraduate/Postdoctoral Research
The School of Biotechnology welcomes applications from postgraduates interested in research in the areas of expertise of our faculty. Further Information for prospective research students can be found below. Research opportunities at Masters, PhD or post-doctoral level may come available at any time of year. For further information please contact us.
The University is moving to a new student application portal on 30th November 2020. Applications for entry to courses previously via PAC, closed on 30th October 2020 and will reopen on the new student application portal from 30th November 2020 onwards.
Useful Information for prospective applicants:
Interested applicants must submit the following:
- A research proposal (of approx. 5,000 words) (guidelines below).
- A letter and CV, including results for undergraduate and postgraduate awards (for each year of study) and any projects, dissertations or thesis completed.
- Name of the faculty member supporting your application.
You should only apply if a member of faculty is supporting your application. You may self-fund or get funded for your PhD.
Read the guidelines on writing a PhD research proposal and ensure you:
- Clearly outline your chosen research question.
- Display evidence of your familiarity with relevant literature relating to your research question, including knowledge of published research from appropriate research journals.
- Position your research question(s) in the relevant research literature.
- Indicate the contribution your research will make to this body of knowledge.
- Suggest a possible methodology that is suitable for your study.
Applicants who have the support of a proposed supervisor may be invited to interview. If successful, you will be required to apply formally to DCU via a new application portal which will be available from 30th November 2020 onwards. Please note that applications submitted to the application portal before faculty approval has been given, will not be considered.
- General information on postgraduate research: visit our Graduate Studies Office webpage
- Applications: view our Graduate Studies Application Procedures
- International Students: our International Office has information about studying in Ireland, including making an application, tuition fees, and life in DCU and Dublin.