Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Committee Terms of Reference
The role of the Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Committee is to ensure an appropriate governance structure to provide clear, consistent leadership and accountability for equality, diversity and inclusion across the University. The Committee will oversee the development of the DCU strategic framework for equality, diversity and inclusion.
This committee will ensure accountability for delivering on the University’s strategic aim of “expanding our commitment to Diversity and Inclusion. In particular, we will build upon our Women in Leadership suite of initiatives and introduce new elements that reflect our commitment to gender equality”
The University Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion Committee is established on the basis of a recommendation from the Government Task Force on Gender Equality and in light of the Public Sector Equality and Human Rights Duty.
The role of the Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Committee is to oversee, report and advise the Governing Authority on the implementation of the University’s Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Strategy.
- To advise the DCU Governing Authority on progress of the Equality, Diversity and Inclusion objectives as outlined in the University’s strategic and equality action plan/s.
- To provide regular reports and assurance to DCU Governing Authority that the University is compliant with relevant legislation and progressively addressing and keeping abreast of relevant equality, diversity and inclusion matters. In particular this will involve reporting on progress in implementing; actions from the Government Taskforce on Gender Equality; obligations under the Public Sector Equality and Human Rights Duty; recommendations from the HEA National Review of Gender Equality in Irish Higher Education Institutions and the Ending Sexual Harassment and Violence in Third-Level Education initiative.
- To raise the profile of Equality, Diversity and Inclusion in the University.
- To provide updates to DCU Governing Authority on the implementation of University Equality, Diversity and Inclusion policies.
- If established, to receive regular reports from the Equality Diversity and Inclusion Steering Group on equality, diversity and inclusion matters[i].
- If established, to review Terms of Reference and membership of the EDI Steering Group annually.
- To produce an annual report to the Governing Authority.
[i] The Committee may establish a Steering Group to deal with particular issues that arise in relation to aspects of its work. A working group may be established to support the Steering Group.
The members of the Committee will be appointed by the Governing Authority. The term of office of the Committee shall be co-terminous with the term of office of the Governing Authority.
The committee shall consist of
- at least five members, of whom at least two shall be external GA members, one of whom shall act as Chair,
- the Vice-President for Equality and Diversity and Director of Human Resources (both ex-officio).
- Up to two additional members, external to the University, may also be appointed.
Quorum is the Chair (or representative) and three other members of the committee with at least two members who are external to DCU (which can include the Chair).
In appointing members, consideration shall be given to the skills and independence of members and relevant equality, diversity and inclusion experience.
There will be a minimum of three meetings per year, scheduled at the beginning of the academic year. Additional or extraordinary meetings will be convened as may be deemed necessary at the discretion of the Chair.