DCU Employment Permits Guidelines

Employment Permits

Who Needs an Employment Permit?

An employment permit is required by law (Employment Permits Acts 2003 & 2006) for Non-EEA nationals who wish to undertake employment in Ireland. It is an offence for both the employer and the employee if a non-EEA national is in employment without an appropriate employment permit.

The Human Resources Department has a responsibility to ensure that all DCU staff members are legally entitled to live and work in Ireland. The purpose of these guidelines is to provide clear information to line managers and prospective and current employees of DCU regarding:

  • Applying for and Renewing Employment Permits
  • Securing Entry Visas
  • Registering with the Garda National Immigration Bureau (GNIB)

What is a Non-EEA National
The EEA comprises of the Member States of the European Union together with Switzerland, Iceland, Norway and Liechtenstein. An individual who is not a citizen of an EEA member state is categorised as a Non EEA National. 

Employment Permits

Visa Information

IRP Card