Securing an Entry Visa
There are three stages in securing an employment permit and ensuring that an individual is legally entitled to work in the Republic of Ireland. These stages are as follows:
- Applying for the Relevant Employment Permit
- Securing an Entry Visa
- Registering with the Garda National Immigration Bureau (GNIB)
What is an Entry VISA
An Entry VISA is legal permission to enter the State for a particular duration and purpose.
Securing an Entry VISA
Once the employment permit is secured the individual concerned is legally entitled to live and work in the State under the terms of that relevant permit. However for new applicants they may still have to secure entry into the country, this is facilitated by obtaining an Entry VISA. It is the responsibility of the applicant to obtain, where necessary, a valid VISA for entry to the country for the purposes of interview or to take up residence.
Who Needs an Entry VISA
Not every Non EEA National will require an entry visa to enter the country. The list of nationalities which do not require a visa can be found in Schedule 1 & 2 of the following link Entry Visa List
How to Apply
Applications for Entry VISAs will only be accepted when the individual is residing outside of the country. Applications must be made to the Irish Embassy or Consulate in the applicant’s country of residence. Applications must be made online and information regarding the application process can be found on the Citizen's Information website.
Points to Note
- Responsibility for VISA applications lies wholly with the individual concerned
- Any fee payable is bore by the applicant
- The Human Resources Department has no input or influence on the VISA application process
- The timeframe for applications can vary dramatically from 2-8 weeks depending on the country of origin and the circumstances involved
- NB. This application timeframe should be taken into account when planning a proposed start date for the position concerned
- Immigration Officers retain discretion in particular circumstances to refuse entry to any Non-EEA national
Detailed information regarding entry visas is available from the Irish Naturalisation and Immigration Service website at the following link http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Irish%20Visa%20Information