School of Applied Language & Intercultural Studies
Technologies and Facilities | School of Applied Language & Intercultural Studies
Technologies and Facilities
SALIS has two newly refurbished language and translation laboratories for students to use. These laboratories have state-of-the-art tools and applications for language learning and translation practice.
Researchers and students at SALIS use a variety of technologies including:
- Tobii T60XL eye tracker – used in research into translating and post-editing processes, cognitive processing and technology interaction and in reception studies
- Tobii X2-60 eye tracker - used in research into cognitive processing and multimodal reception studies,
- Trados Studio – the school has been granted free access to this CAT tool via the RWS Trados academic programme
- Phrase TMS – the school has been granted free access to the Phrase Academic Edition, an academic program designed for universities with translation courses.
- memoQ - the school has been granted free access to this CAT tool via the memoQ academic programme
- MutNMT - a suite of open access tools for machine translation
- KantanMT – cloud-based machine translation software
- WordSmith Tools and Sketch Engine – for corpus processing
- Second Life – a 3D virtual world that can be used for language learning