Facilities | Health and Human Performance
The School of Health and Human Performance laboratories and workspaces extend over an area of 1,100m2. These areas cater for teaching, research and consultancy in the fields of sport science and physical activity for health. Some of the equipment used in these areas are listed below.
Exercise and Sport Physiology Laboratory:
The exercise and sport physiology laboratories cover an area of 192m2. This includes a Human Performance Laboratory, a Clinical Exercise Physiology Laboratory, a Clinical Exercise Research Laboratory, a Biochemistry Laboratory, and an Examination/Procedure Room.
- Cosmed Quark metabolic system
- Cosmed K5 metabolic system
- Innocor metabolic system
- Marquette treadmill series 2000
- HP Cosmos treadmill
- Monark cycle ergometers, models 824E, 828E
- Monark rehabilitation ergometer
- Sensormedics ergoline 900 electronically braked cycle ergometer
- Marquette Case 8000 ECG monitoring system
- SOZO Body composition analyser
- Field fitness testing equipment
- 12 lead ECG systems
Exercise and Sport Biomechanics Laboratory:
The exercise and sport biomechanics laboratory extends over 160m2.
- HUMAN 3D motion analysis
- Three Canon XM1 Mini-dv camcorders (20x optical zoom)
- Matrox 2000 Real-time video editor (Adobe Premier 6RT, Cool3D)
- Video Projector
- Eight Camera VICON 512 M series camera system [Vicon Polygon & Body Builder]
- Two AMTI force plates and Biosoft force plate software [600x900mm and 600x400mm]
Exercise and Sport Psychology area:
The exercise and sport psychology area includes a fully equipped human interaction and qualitative research laboratory. It is over 70m2 in area. On the motor skills side, there is a range of assessment and measurement devices for recording motor learning and control. These include:
- 2 Arm Co-ordination Test Model
- Reversible Pencil Maze Model
- Deluxe Multichoice Reaction Time Apparatus
- Stability Platform Model
- Multifunction Timer Counter for Stability Platform model 54035A*C
- Complete Minnesota Dexterity Test (32023A)
- Grooved Pegboard Model 32025
- Mirror Tracer (31010)
- Bassin Anticipation Timer (50575*C)
Muscle Core Laboratory:
Laboratory for the analysis of human tissue.
- Sysmex XN-450 differential haematology analyser
- Eppendorf 5810 R centrifuge
- Microbiological safety cabinet
Metabolic Research Unit:
A research unit dedicated to the study of metabolic disorders such as diabetes type 2 and the effect of exercise on these disorders.
- Autoclave system
90m2 office space for postgraduates students.
Clinical skills area:
200m2 area for fitness assessment.
Dedicated space for resistance training equipment.
- Video analysis area
- Resource storage area
Pedagogy/Motor skills practical area:
- Gymnastics mats
- Kicking net
- Two pendulums