Managing a Research Team*
Contemporary research increasingly requires a team approach. Whether you are already managing your own team, looking to recruit a new team, or will be managing a team in the future, this course offers guidance on best practices and will help you to develop your capabilities as a team leader.
*This course forms part of the ILM Accredited Professional Skills for Research Leaders (PSRL) programme
Target Audience: All members of the research community including academics, research and senior research fellows and postdoctoral researchers.
Date: 15th November 2018 (10.00 - 13:00)
A blended-learning approach is taken where participants are invited to complete pre-work using the online programme Professional Skills for Research Leaders before attending this course. This workshop is one of the workshops of the ILM accredited programme Professional Skills for Research Leaders. A Principal Investigator will speak about their experiences of managing a team as part of this workshop.
Aims of this course:
This course will help you to develop your skills as a team leader. Specifically, it will focus on:
- What makes an effective team and team roles
- What makes an effective leader and manager and leadership styles
- Methods you can use to motivate and get the best from team members
- The importance of providing mentoring to team members
- The importance of having honest conversations with team members
- Your role as a team leader in the following HR processes – recruitment and selection, probationary process, performance management process.
Course Fee: For PSRL programme participants, the fee is covered by the overall charge associated with the programme. The cost of this course for those not participating on the PSRL Programme is €50.
If you would like to apply for this course, please enrol here.