What is the Travel Pass Scheme?
DCU purchases annual commuter tickets on behalf of employees and the cost is recuperated through payroll, thus employees don’t pay PRSI, USCI or pension-related deductions. The savings on your travel expenses can be quite significant.
The Scheme applies to the Annual Travel Passes issued by Irish Rail, Dublin Bus, Luas, Bus Eireann and Matthews Coaches.
For more information about the scheme and its benefits visit Taxsaver.ie.
Am I eligible?
- To apply you must have a permanent or temporary full-time contract with DCU.
- Your contract end date should not be less than one year from the date of the commencement of the scheme.
How do I apply?
- We are currently open for renewals and new applications for tickets to commence on 1st November 2023. Please see details below for the application:
- First-time applicants must email a Digital passport photo to firstname.lastname@example.org for the following ticket types:
- Annual Travelwide
- Dublin Bus Only
- Annual DART/Commuter Rail Only
- Annual Dublin Bus & Luas
- Annual Dublin Bus & Rail Short Hop
- Annual DART/Commuter Rail & Luas
- Annual DART/Commuter Rail, Dublin Bus & Luas
- For Matthews Coaches tickets you must have a Personalized Leap Card before making the application, apply at Apply at https://www.leapcard.ie/en/NavigationPages/CardPurchase.aspx You will also need to complete a separate application form for Matthews. Please go to the Matthews website to download the relevant form.
- completed Travel Pass Application form for November 2023 must be submitted to Training and Development, HR by email to email@example.com by Monday 16th October 2023
Terms and Conditions
- The University will buy the Travel Pass on the employee's behalf in exchange for the employee foregoing the commensurate value from their annual salary in lieu. The Scheme operates on an annual basis in order to satisfy the Revenue Commissioners' requirements for salary sacrifice*. Scheme participants can only cancel their subscription at the expiry of the one-year period.
- An employee who terminates their employment prior to the expiry of their agreement will have the outstanding Travel Pass debt deducted from their final salary / wages or any other monies due. In the event of insufficient monies being available to meet the debt in full, the individual will personally reimburse the university.
- DCU accepts no liability or responsibility in the case of lost travel passes (most transport providers will replace lost passes for a fee). To replace lost Travel Passes please refer to the taxsaver website.
*an agreement under which an employee agrees with the employer to take a cut in remuneration and in return the employer provides a benefit of a corresponding amount to the employee.
Any queries relating to the Travel Pass Scheme should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
What is the Cycle to Work Scheme?
The Cycle to Work Scheme is a Government tax incentive designed to facilitate employees’ purchase a bicycle and / or associate cycle equipment tax-free.
The key objectives of the scheme are to:
- Encourage more employees to cycle to and from work
- Contribute to lowering carbon emissions
- Help reduce traffic congestion
- Help improve health and fitness.
Am I eligible?
The scheme is eligible to all employees irrespective of contract status or duration. The scheme can only be claimed for once in a four-year period.
The bicycle and safety equipment must be used by the employee mainly for what is termed as "qualifying journeys". A qualifying journey is classified as the whole or part of a journey between the employee's home and place of work.
How do I apply?
It is a requirement that the employer purchases the bicycle on behalf of the employee. In order to avail of the scheme and its benefits the following steps must be taken:
- Select a bicycle and / or equipment up to the value of €1,250 from a bicycle shop of your choosing.
- Request that the bicycle shop invoices DCU (HR Department) for the purchase of the bicycle.
- If the cost of the bicycle exceeds €1,250 or in the case of electric bicycles €1,500, the excess amount must be paid directly to the bicycle shop.
- Complete and return the HR Cycle to Work Application Form.
- Upon receipt of the invoices and completed forms to the HR Department, payment for the purchase of the bicycle will be processed through the Finance office. Please allow up to 15 working days for payment to be processed.
- After the 15 days please contact the Bicycle shop in the first instance to check the status of payment.
- Invoices can only be paid by Bank Transfer. The invoice must therefore include / be accompanied by the bank details of the relevant bicycle shop.
Terms and Conditions
- The Tax-exemption will be limited to €1,250.
- The bicycle must be paid for by the University in order to comply with the terms of the scheme.
- The Tax-exemption must only be provided to an individual employee once in a four-year period, even if the claim is only for a small amount of expenditure.
- Electric bikes (also known as "pedelecs") are eligible for the scheme, up to €1,500; including a bicycle or tricycle which is equipped with an auxiliary electric motor having a maximum continuous rated power of 0.25 kilowatts, of which output is progressively reduced and finally cut off as the vehicle reaches speed of 25 kilometers per hour, or sooner if the cyclist stops pedalling.
When applying please carefully read the section relating to salary sacrifice on the application forrm before you complete and submit the form. The key points to note are:
- Deductions from salary must be made over a period not exceeding 12 months or if you are on a fixed term contract the deductions must be completed in full before your contract ends.
- Deductions will be of equal amounts, fluctuating deductions will not be allowed.
- If your contract of employment is terminated for any reason you must repay in full monies owed under the scheme before you finish employment with the University.
Any queries relating to the Cycle to Work Scheme should be directed to email@example.com, Human Resources. Ph: 01 700 5149.