Admissions Route for Applicants with a Disability
AHEAD and DAWN have launched a new tool to assist students with disabilities who are planning on going to college. It helps you to track your path to college step by step and give you lots of great information and advice about: Please follow this link for access to the tool: Disability Access Map
The Disability Access Route to Education (DARE) is a supplementary admissions scheme for school leavers who because of the impact of their disability may not meet the competitive CAO points for the programme of their choice.
The following disabilities are eligible for consideration under DARE:
- Asperger’s Syndrome / Autism
- Attention Deficit Disorder/Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
- Blind/Vision Impaired
- Deaf/Hearing Impaired
- DCD Dyspraxia/Dyspraxia
- Mental Health Condition
- Neurological Conditions (incl. Brain Injury, Speech and Language Disabilities)
- Ongoing Medical Condition (incl. Epilepsy, Diabetes, Crohn’s Disease)
- Physical Disability
- Specific Learning Difficulty (incl. Dyslexia and Dyscalculia)
How to apply for DARE?
- Apply to the CAO before the 1st February 2017 and indicate that you have a disability/specific learning difficulty
- You will then be directed to an Online form and asked to submit evidence of your disability by 1st April 2017
- For a complete guide on how to apply to DARE please see www.accesscollege.ie
How many places are available in DCU under DARE?
DCU reserves 5% on all programmes for eligible DARE applicants
How do I get a place in DCU under DARE?
For eligible DARE applicants to be considered for a place in DCU they must:
- You must meet DCU’s minimum entry (matriculation) requirements: Grade H5 in two higher level subjects and Grade O6 in four ordinary or higher level subjects including Maths and English or Irish
- Achieve any relevant specific programme requirements.
- Achieve a minimum of 300 points. If you are eligible for DARE you should note that due to the high demand and limited places in DCU you are not guaranteed entry. Available places are offered to those students ranked highest by the points scale.
For further information on applyng to DARE : www.accesscollege.ie
For information on the HEAR route and DCU entry please follow this LINK