Frequently Asked Questions | DLSS

Is the Disability Service & Learning Support Service open?

Yes. Our offices are open for walk-ins and/or face-to-face appointments.

We will continue to offer our appointments, with Disability Officers and Occupational Therapists both in-person and online. 

If you have any queries or concerns please email or telephone (01) 700 5927.

What does the University mean by the term "disability"?

Disability means a condition that substantially affects your ability to carry out day to day activities. If you feel your disability or specific learning difficulty is affecting your ability to study, then the staff at the DCU DLSS may be able to help you.

Who can use our services?

Our services are for all students with a disability including, but not limited to those who:

  • are blind or partially sighted
  • are deaf or hard of hearing
  • have specific learning difficulties, such as dyslexia
  • have ADHD
  • are on the Autism Spectrum
  • have physical/mobility disabilities, such as wheelchair users
  • have speech and language difficulties
  • have mental health difficulties
  • have significant ongoing health issues, such as epilepsy, diabetes, Crohn's disease.

What services and supports are offered to students with disabilities?

As a registered DCU student with a disability, you have access to a range of supports.  The DLSS co-ordinates the support services and these are based on your individual needs. View supports here.

How do I access support?

  • Contact DCU DLSS to arrange a registration appointment 
  • Meet with a Disability Officer online for approximately half an hour
  • Bring evidence of your disability with you (except if you are a DARE
  • Your learning needs will be discussed in consultation with you 

What evidence do I need to register for supports?

You must provide relevant evidence to support your diagnosis. The list of consultants evidence acceptable for registration with the DLSS can be accessed here - Please note that in some cases the time limit on evidence does not apply.

If you are having difficulty obtaining a diagnosis or evidence, please email us at and we can discuss some options with you.

Will I have access to Exam Accommodations for my Online Exams?

Yes, the University will still provide you with a range of exam supports for Online exams. We have created a specific FAQ page for Online Exam Queries

Please email us if you have any concerns

Is it possible to speak to staff at the DLSS?

Yes, the staff at the DLSS are still connecting with students via email, phone or Zoom.

If you wish to connect with a staff member, please send an email to the relevant staff:

Should I disclose my disability to DCU?

Yes.  DCU DLSS is here to support you. If you choose to disclose your disability it means you can avail of a range of practical learning and assistive technology support that will assist you in your to complete your programme. Note, if you are applying as a CAO applicant under the DARE scheme, it is a requirement to disclose your disability.  For all other applicants, the choice is up to you.

Can DCU guarantee my privacy?

Any information that you provide to the DLSS will remain confidential. It is important to remember, however, that the DLSS cannot provide support in isolation. With your permission, the information will be disclosed solely for the purpose of arranging the necessary support for you.

I think I may have a Dyslexia/ADD/Autism but I have never been assessed and now need supports, what should I do?

While the DLSS does not provide any screening for conditions we can put you in contact with external service providers who do. We can also advise you on possible funding avenues to assist you pay for an assessment.

Please contact us at and we will be happy to help.

What financial support is available?

The DLSS does not provide financial assistance to students, however, we do fund supports for students through the Fund for Students with Disabilities.

Please refer to where you will find comprehensive information on financial support for further and higher education or refer to DCU Finance Office at for information on fees, grants, scholarships etc.

I need accommodation on campus, how do I apply?  

Campus Residences Ltd manages campus accommodation. Please contact their office directly for information and how to apply at